Jestersix

What’s going on at BRS?

Are they taking on investors to help grow the brand? ( which i doubt) they big enough already. Or are they hurting financially and need a help line?

it’s a way for Ryan and the other owner to cash in their equity and get a strategic partner. That firm has a program to help their companies with online marketing and sales.

It will be interesting to see what they do. I think they’ll Brand BRS more and release more stuff with the BRS name on it or partnerships like the Apex they did with Neptune

I just find it hard to believe if my buddy & I built this company up from nothing to a multi million dollar powerhouse, that we would invite an investment firm in to reap the rewards. Or cut them a piece of my pie. You can call me greedy, but i wouldn’t do it unless my company was in financial trouble.

Bertram usually adds value by streamlining processing, marketing and new hires.
Perhaps they are trying to optimize processes or maybe add a few more locations over the US.

(This is just an assumption, I'm a sys admin :) )

I just find it hard to believe if my buddy & I built this company up from nothing to a multi million dollar powerhouse, that we would invite an investment firm in to reap the rewards. Or cut them a piece of my pie. You can call me greedy, but i wouldn’t do it unless my company was in financial trouble.

There are a lot of different reasons they might do this - PE firms can lend expertise (eCommerce, marketing, etc) to help grow the business even more (which is their primary incentive in investing). Also, short of selling the business entirely, founders may have a hard time cashing out on the value of their investment. This may also be one way to get a payout, while also still retaining control / continuing to operate the busiess. BRS may have millions in sales, but they're probably operating on tight margins.

BRS at the moment is just an online retail store. I think they want to expand BRS branch since the foundation is already there, that why they need more expertise, eCommerce and selling world wide, carry more product from fresh water to ponds and beyond.... We will see a lot more products with BRS name in near future, I think they want to be like Costco for all aquatic enthusiasm.

Have you seen Ryan’s huge new tank at his house? Needs to partially cash out to pay for that beast :)

But seriously, founders/investors get rich, and an outside company does the firing/reorganizing/expansion to become more profitable.

At the end of their last video about hawaii ban, Ryan talks about the investors coming into BRS. He reads off a bunch of job opportunities and jokes about “how BRS is shooting for the moon”.
He makes it sound like they are using the extra moolah to become the next Amazon/ walmart.

At the end of their last video about hawaii ban, Ryan talks about the investors coming into BRS. He reads off a bunch of job opportunities and jokes about “how BRS is shooting for the moon”.
He makes it sound like they are using the extra moolah to become the next Amazon/ walmart.
wow you watched that video? I really wanted to see what they had to say, but then saw the run time at about an hour and just couldn't be bothered.

Yea as some of you said I’m sure they’re not in financial trouble and just need help expanding from their one location in Minnesota where they happened to live before starting a company. I’m sure the product storage and shipping is rough during those -30F winters. If they took their marketing video platform to anything else (BRS investigates: what is the best running wheel, bird perch, etc ?) I’m sure it’d be successful. Look at how terrible and impersonal Petco, etc sites are. No brainer.

Getting bigger isn’t always better. The more similar to Amazon or Walmart they get by being huge and impersonal, the less likely I will feel like I should buy from them instead of Amazon or Walmart. Over the past few years I’ve already seen a lot of changes that make me no longer feel bad about ordering elsewhere anymore. They have become the Goliath, no longer the David. If they can genuinely be better, like with fast free shipping, better stocking, better selection, good prices, etc, then I’d order more from them. Right now their shipping time is literally the worst of anyplace I order anything from.

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the extra money and business expertise. Not like you can discern anything from that press release (word salad business gibberish). I hope they become more of a good resource for the hobby but I’d give them a 50/50 chance of improvement personally.

Back