Neptune Aquatics

Where Do You Go?

lattehiatus

Past President
This is primarily directed at those living in the Berkeley/Oakland/Richmond areas, but everyone's input is appreciated.

Since the closing of Lucky Goldfish (Oakland), Green Marine (Berkeley), and Wet Pets (San Pablo/El Sobrante), there is a neighborhood LFS vacuum. Where are you going for your livestock and supplies? The 3 storefronts closest to me are below, with my personal observations:

Albany Aquarium: Very limited saltwater selection. Been a while since I've been there, but they seemed to place regular orders with ORA. They are closed on Wed and Thu, which can make it difficult for getting those emergency supplies.

Aquatic Collection: Fantastic selection and service. Since they close at 6:30 on weekdays and are closed on Sunday, I don't have the opportunity to visit as often as I would like, but I do try to go before or after every BAR event to drool over the livestock and pick up fish/coral food to support our sponsor.

Diablo Corals: Found myself going to Diablo Corals more and more lately, it may largely have to do with the store being open late into the evening and all weekend. The selection is excellent, with new stock arriving twice a week or more. I like being able to see the corals from both above and through the side of the tank. I feel that service is top notch - Jess is accommodating to fragging instead of having to purchase the whole colony, and I've had great survival rates with even fresh frags. There is a propagation tank where I can admire the original mother colonies of the frag I am looking to purchase.

Anyone else care to share your thoughts and opinions on where you are shopping locally?

P.S. I've deliberately omitted Neptune Aquatics due to proximity, although Robert and Cerissa's crew deserve an honorable mention and I stop by every time I am passing through the South Bay, as well as the LFSs in San Francisco.

Tropical Fish World in El Cerrito/Richmond is still around. It's got most of the basics and quite a few fish. I've not bought corals from David but I get brine shrimp and my frozen food here. Closed Sundays.

I've also driven over to Vallejo Aquarium rather than head south to Hayward for some plastic bits. They have some nice home grown corals for reasonable prices but only some of the staff is better trained that Petco employees. The owner (Tom?) was nice enough to go out of his way to order a $2 impeller cover for me (ordering it directly would have cost me an additional $12 in shipping).

David, I tried stopping by Diablo Coral today but what I assumed was the front door wasn't open. Was there another entrance?

IMG_6052.jpg

LOL! Now I am imagining Diablo Corals as some uber-exclusive club where you need to know the secret password/handshake/buttprint to get in. :D

Levi, hope you get a chance to go back in the near future. I expect that you will not be disappointed.

Mike, thanks for the heads-up on Tropical Fish World and Vallejo Aquarium. I'd been meaning to check out Vallejo after meeting one of the guys (Dave) while he was filling in for Steve at Lucky Ocean.

Back