Cali Kid Corals

Where is the magnesium coming from?

What is the scale of the variance on your small graph? Is it even meaningful? You also show a sharp drop before a slow rise. That seams more significant.
Peak to floor is 100 ppm

The sharp drop was when I did a water change with IO RC salt and it is low on mag, which is the part that makes sense. It is the steady increase since that doesn't. I am wondering if it could be bound up somewhere, but testing error seems to be the prevailing theory right now.

Peak to floor is 100 ppm

The sharp drop was when I did a water change with IO RC salt and it is low on mag, which is the part that makes sense. It is the steady increase since that doesn't. I am wondering if it could be bound up somewhere, but testing error seems to be the prevailing theory right now.
Yeah, I use IO (normal) and it is a pain. I add Mg when I mix it. Add Mg first and it reduces precipitate a bit, not that IO has much precipitate.

Sweet job! I wouldn't call it a "problem" yet, since it's mag and everything in the tank is happy. I also have tried literally nothing to debug/dive into it. Neptune has great customer support and has helped me out any time I couldn't debug on my own but I really appreciate your offer. I like poking the hive mind and seeing where the discussion goes here :)
At some point when I'm ready to buy a Trident or Ion Director (or whatever else they have by then) I'll figure out what exactly is in these but I'm not there yet.

I had a pretty different reading when switching from Trident Reagent to ABC.
I generally calibrate my Trident a couple days after switching reagent (I think thats what they said) but given the shocking delta I immediately did a calibration w/ ABC's provided solution. Calibrating definitely got things "in line" (or, close enough).

That still wouldn't explain the drift you're getting

What is the time period for the graph? Seems it's drifting back to what it was before your water change dip. If you water change into your sump, is it possible it's just taking that long to mix or something?

All 3 seem to have a slight upward trend (hard to quantify without values) is it possible your salinity is drifting?

Last edited:
And the winner...salinity creep! My salinity was 1.028 when I got home from vacation and after a water change, its down to 1466. Still a hair high, but reasonable for where things are.

Thanks for playing. If you guessed salinity creep, come on by for a free beer and frag!

And the winner...salinity creep! My salinity was 1.028 when I got home from vacation and after a water change, its down to 1466. Still a hair high, but reasonable for where things are.

Thanks for playing. If you guessed salinity creep, come on by for a free beer and frag!
I finally guessed something right! :D

No salinity probe on your tank?

Back