got ethical husbandry?

Why is my purple digi always brown?

i had the same problem...still hasnt colored up, eventhough everything else is doing good...its one of those i dont have the heart to get rid of but dont want to screw up a frag swap with either...

At least you only have problem with purple digi.. any sps goes into my tank will have the same color soon or later ;D..

I also have a "brown" purple digi under MH, but the lights are only 70 watt. Perhaps it needs stronger light?

Purple digi has brown polyps right? And are the tips supposed to turn purple under the right lighting conditions?

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=6678.msg86247#msg86247 date=1236172552]
I also have a "brown" purple digi under MH, but the lights are only 70 watt. Perhaps it needs stronger light?

Purple digi has brown polyps right? And are the tips supposed to turn purple under the right lighting conditions?
[/quote]

I'm sure it depends from digitata to digitata. FWIW, I had many frags of purple digitata, and the base and polyps were both a vibrant purple. Some frags had whitish colored tips when I first got them, but once they started growing and taking off, the tips turned UBER purple.

I once had orange and purple digi completely colored up, the purple is the ORA "super purple" strain, so that may have helped. I had them in very high flow slammed under T5s. After a tank change I couldn't get it to turn purple and it became a pest, now the remnants are starting to turn purple for no apparent reason. I do think it needs a ton of flow and real even intense lighting, I think halides might be to directional to get the body to color up.

The purple digi's I got from you a while back Jeremy had kick ass color under T-5's. Since moving the frags into a tank with halides (edge of the tank too), they lost a lot of their purple color. Hopefully the color comes back when I give it to another reefer!

I think high flow is key. I have a brown SPS (maybe millipora? I dunno). When I aimed a Seio powerhead at it...the growth tips turned purple! OK, it's still mostly brown, but I only noticed color when I blasted it with direct (though gentle) flow.

V

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=6678.msg86333#msg86333 date=1236201795]
I think high flow is key. I have a brown SPS (maybe millipora? I dunno). When I aimed a Seio powerhead at it...the growth tips turned purple! OK, it's still mostly brown, but I only noticed color when I blasted it with direct (though gentle) flow.

V

[/quote]

Is blasting gentle flow kinda like yelling a whisper? :)

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=6678.msg86335#msg86335 date=1236202104]

V

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sort of, it's more like if you are sitting on the lawn under the sun versus sitting under a laser beam. Or if you are at the front row of a Dido concert versus a Fran Dreshler standup show :p

V

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6678.msg86268#msg86268 date=1236184553]
I once had orange and purple digi completely colored up, the purple is the ORA "super purple" strain, so that may have helped. I had them in very high flow slammed under T5s. After a tank change I couldn't get it to turn purple and it became a pest, now the remnants are starting to turn purple for no apparent reason. I do think it needs a ton of flow and real even intense lighting, I think halides might be to directional to get the body to color up.
[/quote]

Thanks for the insight...more flow, T-5 lights. :D

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=6678.msg86350#msg86350 date=1236205097]
[quote author=zambavi link=topic=6678.msg86335#msg86335 date=1236202104]

V

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sort of, it's more like if you are sitting on the lawn under the sun versus sitting under a laser beam. Or if you are at the front row of a Dido concert versus a Fran Dreshler standup show :p

V

[/quote]
isnt that called an oxymoron ?

Well, OK, let me put it this way... a maxijet has a powerful jet of water, a seio (and tunze, and propeller-mod maxijets) have just as much flow, but it's over a wider area. Compare a garden hose's flow when there is no attachment on it and when you use a nozzle on it.

Anyway...you know what I mean!!!

V

PS. Who you calling an oxymoron? :p

Mine too. On two occasions, in two different tanks, I was given a digitata with a green base and orange/red polyps. Within 1-2 days, both frags in both tanks lost all their green :(

Back