Neptune Aquatics

Controller for reefing?

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hey folks, I kinda wanted to look into getting into automating my reef keeping experience and I wanted to ask for some opinions on controllers.

Some of the ones I've looked into were the GHL Profilux and the Apex Neptune system. I know they're on the pricier side, but with how much I've been testing my tank I think it'd be a worthy investment into the future as I upgrade my tank size.

Who here actually uses an automated controller? Are they worth it? What are your favorites?

Thanks!

Look into the KH guardian. It only measures ph and alk but what more do you really need. And it's at least half the price of the others.

Look into the KH guardian. It only measures ph and alk but what more do you really need. And it's at least half the price of the others.

I saw these too, but sadly I think they’ve been discontinued.

To keep everything as simple as possible, I’m really considering a KH director from GHL, and then possibly building out a kit with the rest of their brand of items.

I’m gathering some of these controllers to eventually put them into a future system and I think KH would be a simple place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw these too, but sadly I think they’ve been discontinued.

To keep everything as simple as possible, I’m really considering a KH director from GHL, and then possibly building out a kit with the rest of their brand of items.

I’m gathering some of these controllers to eventually put them into a future system and I think KH would be a simple place to start.

Definitely not discontinued. Join the kh guardian group on fb. Alex Lin is the distributor for north America. He'll set you up. If you dont have fb @ofzakaria has Alex's email.

I have both khg and KHD. I use KHG over the KHD because
cheaper
Smaller
and only with khg you can return the water sample to the sump..

Quality wise, both khg and khd are good quality.

I have both khg and KHD. I use KHG over the KHD because
cheaper
Smaller
and only with khg you can return the water sample to the sump..

Quality wise, both khg and khd are good quality.

How is the upkeep for the KHG? And what website do you go to to reorder things like reagent or extra parts?

What processes do you want to automate?

I’ve used the entry level options from ghl and Neptune. I think both are good options and it depends on what you want to do and what kind of experience you want.

Both can be set up with processes so you don’t have to write code, but Neptune provides the option for advanced configuration. Ghl doesn’t allow you to code it but instead includes a large amount of functionality.

This is a common topic if you want to look for other threads on it, or if you have specific questions I can help answer

How is the upkeep for the KHG? And what website do you go to to reorder things like reagent or extra parts?

Easy and proven upkeep (khg is the longest standing tester in the market) i have been using mine for 4 years.
You order from them directly, thats the cheapest.

Sales@khg.com
or
alex@khguardian.com

Alex is their North america distributor.

As for reagent, it's steadily available. One reagent , 25$, gives you 2 months of testing.
The good thing about it its stand alone and doesn't need any extra "things" to operate.
Meaning, you do not need to buy a controller or a doser to operate it.

Another thing I like about it, is that you can return the tested water sample back to the sump. this is useful to avoid salinity variation(one might tell you its not a big deal, the sample is small) trust me, it is. By time your salinity starts shifting if you cannot return the water sample back to the sump.

if you are looking in controllers I would go GHL and not look back.

I tried them all, reef keeper, apex, sense..GHL was the best controller for me both in term of quality and ease of use.
I use their controller, their dosers, theor cooling fans, and their ATO. Solid quality.
GHL is getting ready to release the ion director which will give more testing that is actually useful like potassium and NO3. So its worth investing.

Hope that helped.

Last edited:
I am currently looking into getting an aquarium tester for my tank as well. I created a comparison matrix, feel free to take a look at it, and provide any comments if you would like: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eJgW-Jv28S3OPYMdQyfUm3jfwDT7oBbgy1Q8rm5sgeY/edit?usp=sharing

Some of the cells are still empty as I had a hard time finding some of this information, so if you have first had experience with them that would be great. Also I have seen lots of raving reviews about the KHG, but I can't seem to find them at any retailer to find prices and such. I have the Apex Trident, Kh Guardian, Kh Director, and Alkatronic in the comparison.

As a current Apex owner, I am starting to think that the Trident makes a lot of sense. While I may start with dosing 2 part, my goal is to run one of these with a Calcium Reactor, (Looking at the AE ACR setups) and would appreciate feedback from those that run one of these with a Calcium Reactor. Do most people use the tests to control the effluent rate, or set the effluent intentionally low and compensate with dosing 2 part?

I am currently looking into getting an aquarium tester for my tank as well. I created a comparison matrix, feel free to take a look at it, and provide any comments if you would like: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eJgW-Jv28S3OPYMdQyfUm3jfwDT7oBbgy1Q8rm5sgeY/edit?usp=sharing

Some of the cells are still empty as I had a hard time finding some of this information, so if you have first had experience with them that would be great. Also I have seen lots of raving reviews about the KHG, but I can't seem to find them at any retailer to find prices and such. I have the Apex Trident, Kh Guardian, Kh Director, and Alkatronic in the comparison.

As a current Apex owner, I am starting to think that the Trident makes a lot of sense. While I may start with dosing 2 part, my goal is to run one of these with a Calcium Reactor, (Looking at the AE ACR setups) and would appreciate feedback from those that run one of these with a Calcium Reactor. Do most people use the tests to control the effluent rate, or set the effluent intentionally low and compensate with dosing 2 part?
Couple fillers for your sheet

The KHG price is 480. It comes with 3 reagent packets (6 months supply)
The AIM module (that allow you to integrate with any controller like GHL or Apex) is 20$.

The accuracy of the khg once calibrated is 0.05, i do not know why they have it in the dataset as 0.1dkh. Interesting both KHG and KHD are bit more conservative with dataset specs. Cause khd also gave me 0.05 once calibrated..

The resolution is 0.01dkh, not 0.1dkh

I would recommend you add the feature of"can you return the test sample back to the sump". As I said ealrier it was super useful not to worry about salinity drift overtime from taking water out of the system. Or worrying about emptying waste containers.

Ordering KHG can be through the company themselves ot couple other retailers. Cheapest is through the company directly. It ships from Texas(their distributors)

Sales@khg.com
or
alex@khguardian.com
They also have very active FB page that they answer questions real time and provide support through chat or calls.

Cheers.

Last edited:

That needs to be updated. Khg has wifi

I looked through the forum about the khg needing a separate connection to be on wifi.

For the sake of simplicity, I think I’m gonna try to test the waters of reef automation with a KHD soon.

I appreciate all of your input!

Back