Cali Kid Corals

Controller for reefing?

Couple fillers for your sheet

The KHG price is 480. It comes with 3 reagent packets (6 months supply)
The AIM module (that allow you to integrate with any controller like GHL or Apex) is 20$.

The accuracy of the khg once calibrated is 0.05, i do not know why they have it in the dataset as 0.1dkh. Interesting both KHG and KHD are bit more conservative with dataset specs. Cause khd also gave me 0.05 once calibrated..

The resolution is 0.01dkh, not 0.1dkh

I would recommend you add the feature of"can you return the test sample back to the sump". As I said ealrier it was super useful not to worry about salinity drift overtime from taking water out of the system. Or worrying about emptying waste containers.

Ordering KHG can be through the company themselves ot couple other retailers. Cheapest is through the company directly. It ships from Texas(their distributors)

Sales@khg.com
or
alex@khguardian.com
They also have very active FB page that they answer questions real time and provide support through chat or calls.

Cheers.
Thanks for the additional clarifications! I based the information off of the documentation that I could find but looks like some of it is out of date. I will go ahead and update the prices, resolution, and accuracy.

Could you also tell me how often the calibration frequency is? I could not find that when I searched, but I am assuming it would be similar to other models that use a pH Probe. Also I believe you run a CaRX on your system, could you please explain a little how that works with the KHG.

And yes I agree, the ability for the sample water to be reentered into the tank is very useful! I tried to capture that in the "Waste Container" row, the KHG is the only one that does not need one, definitely something that sets it apart.

That needs to be updated. Khg has wifi
Thanks I will update that as well.

I am going to add to rows for how much water is consumed per day, and how much reagent is included on purchase. I am open to suggestions for rows that others consider useful. I just tried to think of things that would matter to me, but I am sure that I missed some.

Thanks for the additional clarifications! I based the information off of the documentation that I could find but looks like some of it is out of date. I will go ahead and update the prices, resolution, and accuracy.

Could you also tell me how often the calibration frequency is? I could not find that when I searched, but I am assuming it would be similar to other models that use a pH Probe. Also I believe you run a CaRX on your system, could you please explain a little how that works with the KHG.

And yes I agree, the ability for the sample water to be reentered into the tank is very useful! I tried to capture that in the "Waste Container" row, the KHG is the only one that does not need one, definitely something that sets it apart.

Thanks I will update that as well.

I am going to add to rows for how much water is consumed per day, and how much reagent is included on purchase. I am open to suggestions for rows that others consider useful. I just tried to think of things that would matter to me, but I am sure that I missed some.
For calibration I would say at first, you will probably calibrate every time you change the reagent.
Since reagent is mixed by the user, any variation between batches can result in needing to calibrate for a small error.
After a while, and if you use scale to mix the reagent rather just depending on volume(reagent need to be mixed with 1500g of rodi, which is close to 1500ml, but weighing water is better thwm depending on its volume to take our temp variation), once you start doing this you do not calibrate often.
I now calibrate once every 6 months or so.. because I have a small digital scale and my reagent mixing is consistent batch over batch.

Yes you can connect Carx to khg. They have a CArx module that will control the co2 solenoid switch on/off based on the alk reading, when alk above target, co2 is off, when below target co2 is on..pretty simple.
I am not using that however, cause am using dastaco reactor thay doesn't need a ph prob. Am controlling my reactor by having the khg turn on/off the reactor based on the alk value read by the reactor.

As a current Apex owner, I am starting to think that the Trident makes a lot of sense. While I may start with dosing 2 part, my goal is to run one of these with a Calcium Reactor, (Looking at the AE ACR setups) and would appreciate feedback from those that run one of these with a Calcium Reactor. Do most people use the tests to control the effluent rate, or set the effluent intentionally low and compensate with dosing 2 part?

Being that the advantage to a CaRx is stability, having it change flow rates/decrease pH etc based on Alk disrupts that. I use a CaRx with an Apex/Trident.

I set up the CaRx to provide 90-99% of the tank needs and have a DOS controlled by the Trident for the rest. The DOS is much better suited in adjusting for small changes than a CaRx. You also have independent control of Alk vs Ca. A CaRx provides Alk and Ca at a fixed rate. Not all tanks consume Alk and Ca at the same rate as provided by a CaRx.

Not including reefbot?
I am not really sure I would recommend it.
When it works, it does great. Reagents are super cheap. Lots of possible tests.
But mine is dead for the second time now.

Also: I would consider using Trident/whatever to CONTROL dosing to be very high risk.
These machines have issues, and if that causes a big spike in dosing it can kill your tank.
Instead, have these devices MEASURE the various levels, and you can tweak your dosages up/down slightly manually.

Also: I would consider using Trident/whatever to CONTROL dosing to be very high risk.
These machines have issues, and if that causes a big spike in dosing it can kill your tank.
Instead, have these devices MEASURE the various levels, and you can tweak your dosages up/down slightly manually.

You cannot have a run away situation with Trident controlled dosing.
There is a ceiling and floor that you set.
If the readings go beyond those levels, the Apex reverts to baseline dosing.
If the required change is beyond the % that you set, the Apex reverts to baseline dosing.
If the reading is vastly different from previous tests and the Trident cannot get an accurate reading, it goes into error mode and the Apex reverts to baseline dosing.

I’m getting deja vu. You can check out this thread for some more info

I’ve decided I was gonna get a KHG, and I just wanted to ask.

For the people who use a KHG:

What do you wifi device do you use to connect it to the internet?

I don’t have a sump, I have an AIO, can I keep this mounted under the cabinet and still get accurate results without anything overflowing?

What container do you use to hold both the reagent/alkalinity for the device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had it connected to my router but this is the one that is recommended on the FB group for KHG: TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router - WiFi Bridge/Range Extender/Access Point/Client Modes, Mobile in Pocket(TL-WR902AC) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5RCZQH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_2JGpHLNLd4fEw

I don’t have a sump, I have an AIO, can I keep this mounted under the cabinet and still get accurate results without anything overflowing?
I just asked this on the FB group yesterday. The peristaltic pumps and check valves should prevent siphon. But depending on the distance it could put too much pressure on the check valves. I am going to put it above my tank and avoid the risk. If you did put it lower the risk would be flooding the reaction chamber so you would want to attach dosing tube to the reaction chamber overflow.

I use a regular acrylic dosing container, I believe it’s from simplicity. I mix it in a different container then pour it into the storage container. You have to use something that won’t get melted by the reagent since it is a mild acid

I suggest joining the FB group

I’ve decided I was gonna get a KHG, and I just wanted to ask.

For the people who use a KHG:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"What do you wifi device do you use to connect it to the internet?"
The one max recommended is good..

I use this:

"I don’t have a sump, I have an AIO, can I keep this mounted under the cabinet and still get accurate results without anything overflowing?"
It should not be a problem, I have it on top of the AIO frag tank. Way high actually (u can see the setup in my frag tank journal). The disadvantage of having it too far away from the tank or too high, is you make the peristaltic pump work harder so some times it time out thinking there is not enough water to pull. But thats in extreme condition
Having it just on top should not be a problem. On my DT, for 4 years, I have it on top of the sump, so its also the same thing(the sump here is the tank that khg pull water from) You can see the setup on the first page of my journal also.

"What container do you use to hold both the reagent/alkalinity for the device?"

I use these, I like it cause its 1500ml which is very close to 1500g that khg will require to mix reagent.

Last edited:
Back