got ethical husbandry?

[Feb 8, 2014] 2014 BAR Members Only Frag Swap (Hayward, CA)

Bay Area Reefers 2014 Members Only Frag Swap

We are pleased to announce the BAR Members only frag swap for 2014! This event is intended to encourage the propagation, sharing, and 'backing up' of corals throughout the reefing community. The frag swap is a great way to promote the spirit of generosity in support of the hobby and all its participants.

The swap is open to 2014 BAR members...not a member ? Now is a great time to become one! Meet and hang out with your fellow hobbyists. Share and enjoy the diversity of corals being successfully grown by your fellow reefers. Learn more about how to care for the corals you pick and the corals you currently have.

Never been to a swap before or don't have frags to swap yet?

No problem! We have a welcoming committee that will be on site to help, and a newbie table where you can select a few organisms to populate your tank and ease your way into the hobby. Come see how the frag swap works and be ready for the next swap!

How the swap works
  • Corals entered into the swap will be placed on tables within a family of corals.
    • Categories: Zoas, Soft corals, LPS, & SPS (sub-divided into Sticks, Plates, Others)

• You will receive a name tag and draw a pick group letter

• Pick group letters are called in this order: A, B, C, D, ..., Z, Z, ..., D, C, B, A, A, ...
  • During the first round of picking you will have a few minutes to select one coral

• As the swap progresses through the pick groups, successive rounds will be shorter and you will be able to select multiple corals

"How do I participate?"
  • Show up for Registration 11:00-12:30

• Bring three or more different strains of coral

Important Information
  • The swap will be held on Saturday February 8th, Chabot College, Cafeteria
  • Chabot College charges $2 for parking. Please support our venue and purchase a daily parking permit from one of the machines in the parking lots.
  • Swap registration is 11:00-12:30, late arrivals are automatically placed into the final pick group
  • The swap begins at 1:00pm.
  • We ask that you package your corals in deli containers similar to these, or other sealable containers. Corals in ziplock bags are not allowed. Typically a good place to find deli containers is your local Smart & Final. Not only do the containers allow you to see the corals better, they reduce the risk of leaks and spills that can potentially irritate our hosts at Chabot. If you show up with substandard packing you will be required to purchase deli containers and repackage and label your corals. There are some handy frag packing tips in this thread, please feel free to add any suggestions or ask questions in advance of the swap.

• All containers shall be labeled with the coral type, your name/internet handle, and growing conditions (height in tank, flow, lighting, etc.). This is to allow the recipient of your frag to reproduce your growing conditions as much as possible. If the containers are not labeled you will be required to label them on the spot. Please check out the Avery site for convenient pre-made Avery labels
. Some labels we've used before are the Avery 5163/8163 and theAvery 5371.
  • Any corals determined to be in poor condition or freshly fragged will not qualify you for the swap, it is against our mission to reward poor propagation techniques.
  • Ineligible corals, invertebrates, macroalgaes, equipment, supplies, etc., will be placed at the newbie table and made available to all swap attendees.

Important Note

Please treat all corals that you pick at the swap as if they are infected with the worst pests known to man. Dip your corals with the coral dip provided for free at the swap or your own preferred coral dip. Not only does dipping help to prevent pests from making their way into your tank, it could potentially prevent the spread of nuisance algae as well as keeping the instances of necrosis to a minimum.

Ineligible Corals

These organisms do not qualify for entrance into the swap.
ineligible_corals_v2_zpsc1dea7dc.jpg

Last edited:
There at times has been a prerequisite that members had to be paid and have attended a certain number of meetings even.
Ok, well I can ask Sergio and Charlie what they want to do since they are planning the swap. I'll leave it up to them how they want to handle new membership for the swap.

Who's up for a potluck while waiting for the swap to start? I didn't get my fill at the December meeting.

New members participating in the swap will be hazed in accordance with the by-laws. ;)

Food is always a good idea! And thanks for posting the update to the location. Now all I have to do is remember there is a new location!!

do you guys want a bunch of green sinularia frags? I probably won't take much home since I'm out of room in my tank but I can definitely frag my 12" tall sinularia :D

Cool, now if anyone can chime in on this please since I've never fragged one of these guys. I can just cut branches off of it with a razor right?

That sounds right. They are kinda slimy when cut, so the hardest thing is getting it mounted. Best to let it heals before trying to glue it.

Yes it will attach but will take time.... the best way is to place the cutting between two pieces of LR and rubber band it together. They can be very low to attach

Razors work.... I've also used pruning shears. Newer/smaller/thinner branches seem to frag better than larger thick branches which can just slowly dissolve/melt.

-Gregory

I have two very large pieces of Miami Hurricane (probably 7" in diameter) that I would like to donate to both the club via the frag swap and maybe to the CA Academy of Sciences if they want one. Will someone have a bandsaw at the event to carve this baby up? I've been meaning to frag it and donate to DBTC but really have had little time to dedicate to my tank (let alone space to accommodate all of the frags I could probably make with this piece). Alternatively, I wouldn't mind donating one of the pieces to the club and letting the BOD decide what to do with it (i.e. raise money by selling at events or making frags for various club members).

Durwin, best bet is to give it to a club member before hand to hack it up that way it can heal up before being distributed.

IIRC, no fragging has ever been done at a swap (well past the first swap that is outside Tropical Paradise(??) way back in the day.

The tread should say "Supporting Member" only right? Anyways I think my label says Volunteer....how do I know if I am expired?

The tread should say "Supporting Member" only right? Anyways I think my label says Volunteer....how do I know if I am expired?

I couldn't tell either until I noticed that access to for sale threads was no longer avail to me.

Back