Neptune Aquatics

180 Custom Gallon Starfire

The sump just arrived! 48" x 22" footprint

8319281641_1ec25a776d.jpg

More boxes in the mail! new pump, bio pellet reactor & carbon reactor. Also picked up 150lbs of crushed shells from Boca Grande. The shell substrate is currently being cleaned out, then dried out before going into the tank.

Also sealed all seams and caulked the gaps, then painted the entire inside of the stand with a "BLACK JACK 3.6-Quart Elastomeric Roof Coating" in white. The paint is a siliconized paint designed to make metal and wood all weather.

8363518902_7a53358d54.jpg

8362453813_d16489c82b_z.jpg

8363518830_386dc394b9_z.jpg

8362453627_ee6a8a21d6_z.jpg

8362453723_1588ba32bd_z.jpg

8362453479_fa00005a44_z.jpg

Also sealed all seams and caulked the gaps, then painted the entire inside of the stand with a "BLACK JACK 3.6-Quart Elastomeric Roof Coating" in white. The paint is a siliconized paint designed to make metal and wood all weather.

I did the exact same thing for two of my old tanks, love that stuff :)

We also used that here at Reed for numerous projects.

Wow what a thread! I have tank envy haha. I can't wait to have a set up like that one day. Le sigh. Love the storage container as well!! :) Can't wait until you fill that nice lookin' tank with water :D

Here's the crushed shell I picked up at Boca Grande. I rinsed it out with freshwater, the added alittle bleach let it soak for a day, then rinse again and dry out. Still kinda stinks like saltwater, but it;s much cleaner. Not too much sand, mainly shells. I plan on mixing Fiji Pink Sand to it to give it a softer texture. But for now have about 150lbs drying outside.

8386013606_74b2fca34a_z.jpg

8384931273_d42f24e45f_z.jpg

Ordered the skimmer today :)

Super Reef Octopus 3000, with the bubble blaster pump, cant wait to get it :) Thank guys for your help on sorting out which skimmer.

3000int.jpg

ugggggg.......... Skimmer is on back order at aqua cave, and most other sites. Looks like I'll need to wait 3 weeks to get it. Crappola! Wish Reef Octopus could get their manufacturing supply lines in order! They are out of the main body cylinder and are waiting for a slow boat from China.

Coral reefer said:
Fire it up without the skimmer and let it start cycling

+1!! Nothing wrong with letting it sit empty and lightless for a few months! At least you'll have water in it :D If you missed Tony's talk, he reccommends 3-6 months cycle with no lights, or fish, just the rock and substrate, seeded. :)

Then you can get the skimmer and you are almost there!

Picked up the dosing controller today. GHL ProfiLux Stand Alone Dosing System, 3 Pumps w/ Controller.
I'll have Calcium, Magnesium & Alkalinity set up on auto dose.

8415795538_0b73f13cc8_z.jpg

Getting closer :)

Left to right: External Pump, Carbon Reactor, Bio Pellot Reactor, Freshwater top off, Magnesium, Alkalinity, Calcium, Amino Acid, 4 Dose Controller, Socks

Protien skimmer will be in the center pushed up front for easy cleaning... still waiting for it to be shipped :(

8421548271_27c3cfacd2_z.jpg

So how do you fill the top off water? Have to pull it out and refill it? I can't really tell how large it is bug I'm guessing it's 5 gallons?

Only starting out with a 2.5, there is a screw top on it. I am thinking of putting a quick disconnect on the float switch line and just take it out and fill it up.. or unscrew it and pump it in.

BTW, going to take that water release off and hook that up to a float switch that will open once the water level drops.

Got any better ideas? Always open to changing it up.

What do you expect to have for daily evaporation? I would think 2.5G would only get you a day or two. Perhaps there is very little evap when the relative humidity is 100%? :)

Love your stand and sump area. It's so clean an neat! Keep up the good work.

aqua-nut said:
What do you expect to have for daily evaporation? I would think 2.5G would only get you a day or two. Perhaps there is very little evap when the relative humidity is 100%? :)

Love your stand and sump area. It's so clean an neat! Keep up the good work.

That's what I was thinking. Refilling your top off every 2-3 days sort of defeats the purpose ;)

You guys may be right, right now I have no idea on evaporation rate.. have to wait and see what it'll be. My only concern is the weight of the 5 Gallon.. I do have a container already that can be used. The shelf system I bought seems ok, until a lot of weight goes out to the edge of the shelf then sags a bit. The stand bottom is constructed of hardy board around a metal fram, with 1x2 inner trim That 1x2 is what is holding the self weight. So I can't really anchor anything super heavy. If I need to support alot of weight it'll need support legs .. or sit on the top of the sump. So we'll see. The shelf is modular and comes right out and can move around without changing the rail system. But in a nut shell I wanted to use a 5, but due to weight want to try a 2.5 first.. but I am thinking you guys are right :)

Back