Cali Kid Corals

2/18 Fragging Workshop at High Tide Aquatics

Attending?

• Total voters

Darkxerox

Facilities, Events, LFS Partnership
BOD
Why/When: In preparation for our next Members’ Swap, we are having a fragging/dipping workshop Sunday, 2/18 from 1-3pm. As a bonus, because the event is hosted by High Tide Aquatics, you can get a chance to frag the massive colonies donated by @Dan-sf !

@Srt4eric will be in charge with @under_water_ninja standing by to help you with any purchases (it's a great time to get quarantined fish and reasonable frags with your BAR discount!)

Where: High Tide Aquatics, 2819 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94602

Who: Supporting members are welcome, can bring a guest (space permitting). No children allowed since we will have some potentially dangerous equipment active.

What: We will be discussing and getting hands-on practice with techniques for fragging coral, mounting coral to plugs/rock, using frag containers/swap labels, dipping new frags for pests, and whatever else you guys would like. We will have band saws, bone cutters, scalpels, glue, plugs, rubble, etc to use. If you want to bring your own tools or donate some consumables, great (and let us know). Everyone should bring your own safety glasses, and gloves if you’ll use them.

We would like attendees to bring some coral colonies that you would like to have fragged up. It will help to have a variety of types of coral to practice on. What you do with the resulting frags of colonies you bring is completely up to you; options include: taking them home again, donating some or all to the store/swap, giving or selling to attendees there, etc. Whatever makes sense for you, just have something in mind by the day of. The main thing we need is coral to practice on. Even dead coral skeletons would be helpful for practice (highly recommend anyone with dead scolymia or brain corals to slice them up to see if there were any boring clams).

Volunteers: we are also looking for additional volunteers who would like to help teach fragging techniques, please reply in thread below and I'll add you to the list.

Final note: please try to make a purchase at the store while you're there (frozen food, fish, dry goods, inverts, corals, etc.). Kenny provides us a space that otherwise would cost the club many hundreds of dollars, which we can instead reinvest into the members, plus he gave these corals a home for free the past month. https://www.hightideaquatics.net/fish-instock https://www.hightideaquatics.net/foods

I cannot say for certain that I'll be there. But, I'll do my best to be there. I would be happy to help with the setup and cleanup. It's on my calendar and my plan is to come.

Hi folks,

We need more attendees otherwise we'll have to cancel the event. Please indicate whether you can or can't come in the poll and ask any questions here. We definitely could use the help for fragging up the corals for the grow out contest. Thanks!

Sunday afternoons/evenings are difficult for me - but it seems 100% of our events are during this timeframe. Why not mix it up occasionally on a Saturday? :)
We try to alternate them but most of the time it depends on the availability of the hosts. We're overdue for a peninsula event so lots of things are on the docket for later in the year.

@Saruty04 thanks for joining the club as a supporting member! It's ok if you bring guests, but given we're working with power tools in a smaller space, make sure they're locked in and focused, rather than just hanging out. We have enough board members showing up to get the "work" done at minimum, so this is purely educational for members (and helping Kenny with not having to clean up after us).

We try to alternate them but most of the time it depends on the availability of the hosts. We're overdue for a peninsula event so lots of things are on the docket for later in the year.

@Saruty04 thanks for joining the club as a supporting member! It's ok if you bring guests, but given we're working with power tools in a smaller space, make sure they're locked in and focused, rather than just hanging out. We have enough board members showing up to get the "work" done at minimum, so this is purely educational for members (and helping Kenny with not having to clean up after us).
Sounds good. The person I plan to bring has had plenty of experience with power tools and safety concerning them. He is trying to get into reefing and corals, so I think this will be a great educational event for him. We will be sure to buy some things from the store as well!

Sounds good. The person I plan to bring has had plenty of experience with power tools and safety concerning them. He is trying to get into reefing and corals, so I think this will be a great educational event for him. We will be sure to buy some things from the store as well!

Bringing them to a solid LFS like HTA is the best thing you can do for them. Online is great, but in person is far better.

If we don't support the LFS, we'll loose them. In the last 15 years, we have seen over a dozen LFS disappear from the Bay Area, even multiple wholesalers.

Sunday afternoons/evenings are difficult for me - but it seems 100% of our events are during this timeframe. Why not mix it up occasionally on a Saturday? :)
I don’t mind doing Saturdays, I just can’t have the whole front room blocked off on my busiest day of the week, lol. Once the weather is better, I have all the space we need out back, plenty of chairs and tables, set up canopy’s (when the sun is beating down) and we are golden, even have outlets out back!

Unfortunately, I cannot make it tomorrow. Have fun everyone! Would have been fun to hang with club members, but family obligations came up.

I would only ask that folks take a bunch of pics throughout the day. Just to document our various events. TIA

Back