got ethical husbandry?

2024 Photo of the Month Contests - Chime In

Submit Photo Privately or Publicly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReyDeFarts

Photography, Contests
BOD
Who is ready for the first photo contest of 2024?!?
20231231_214314.jpg

I know I am getting this started a little late, but in the future, my goal is to open the contest on the 1st of the month.

I would like to test the parameters and change the format of the contest slightly.
I'm running a poll for three days to get your thoughts. So please vote and let me know what you think.

Here is how I would like to change the contest format.

• I would like for you all to send me your single picture selection via DM.
  • I will compile the images until the last week of the month.
  • I will then make a single post with all the images without showing who took the image.
  • All members will be able to vote for their favorite images during the final week.
  • BOD will vote privately and act as the tie-breaker votes if needed.
  • BOD members will vote publicly. @JVU brought up a good point, in that we don't want it to come off as being secretive or have any unseen bias. I didn't see that perspective and he's right. So public votes for the BOD
  • Incorporate our partners & sponsors (current and working on getting new ones) to view and vote privately.
  • The image with the most likes will win! So even if publicly via member votes, an image appears to have more likes, with the addition of BOD and sponsor votes, a surprise winner could be announced.
I will of course keep everything transparent at the end of the contest by announcing the winner with total "like" count. The point of this is to keep things anonymous and a surprise.

In the past, the winner would win a $50 gift card to a LFS.
EDIT: We will continue to do this for now until the board has had an opportunity to discuss future contests in detail. My plan is still to get in touch with our existing sponsors to put together some nice winner packages of products and/or discounts.

It is my understanding that members cannot win again until 6 months has passed. I would like to also change this stipulation. Instead, I would like to keep the wins to a maximum of 3 per year. That means you can submit an image every month and potentially win three months in a row, and then you will be exempt for the remainder of the year. Then it resets again the following year.

At the end of the year, we will be organizing a Photo of the Year contest with all 12 winning images where members, BOD, LGS partners, and sponsors will vote for the Photo of the Year winner for 2024!!!

So what do you think?! Should we give these ideas a try or stick to the same format as before?

Last edited:
Who is ready for the first photo contest of 2024?!?
View attachment 51918
I know I am getting this started a little late, but in the future, my goal is to open the contest on the 1st of the month.

I would like to test the parameters and change the format of the contest slightly.
I'm running a poll for three days to get your thoughts. So please vote and let me know what you think.

Here is how I would like to change the contest format.

• I would like for you all to send me your single picture selection via DM.
  • I will compile the images until the last week of the month.
  • I will then make a single post with all the images without showing who took the image.
  • All members will be able to vote for their favorite images during the final week.
  • BOD will vote privately and act as the tie-breaker votes if needed.
  • Incorporate our sponsors (current and working on getting new ones) to view and vote privately.
  • The image with the most likes will win! So even if publicly via member votes, an image appears to have more likes, with the addition of BOD and sponsor votes, a surprise winner could be announced.
I will of course keep everything transparent at the end of the contest by announcing the winner with total "like" count. The point of this is to keep things anonymous and a surprise.

In the past, the winner would win a $50 gift card to a LFS, which the club was paying for. I'd like to also change this. My plan is to get in touch with our existing sponsors to put together some nice winner packages of products and discounts. If I cannot get this done by the end of the month, we will default to our previous commitment of giving the winner a $50 gift card to one of our LFS partners.

It is my understanding that members cannot win again until 6 months has passed. I would like to also change this stipulation. Instead, I would like to keep the wins to a maximum of 3 per year. That means you can submit an image every month and potentially win three months in a row, and then you will be exempt for the remainder of the year. Then it resets again the following year.

At the end of the year, we will be organizing a Photo of the Year contest with all 12 winning images where members, BOD, sponsors, and non-sponsor reef industry leaders will be able to vote for the ultimate winner for 2024!!!

So what do you think?! Should we give these ideas a try or stick to the same format as before?

All are great ideas in my opinion. Thank you for putting so much thought into this.

So no theme for picture this time?
No theme specifically that I thought of. I'll be posting the Jan Pic of the Month contest thread later today. In the meantime, anyone can feel free to DM me your single pic selection for the contest. I'm working on a draft for the contest post.

Back