Cali Kid Corals

Featured 6/1 Frag Swap at Mission Blue Center

Will you be attending the frag swap?

• Total voters

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
We will be having a members-only frag swap on June 1st, 2024, on the peninsula! Please make sure you answer the poll to RSVP.

Important information

Location: Mission Blue Center, 475 Mission Blue Dr, Brisbane, CA 94005
Date: June 1, 2024
Time : 12:00 PM (registration starts at 11:30 AM)

Schedule
11 AM - 12 PM: Setup
11:30 AM - 12 PM: Registration, check-in, and running corals
12 PM - 2 PM or so: Swapping corals!

Volunteer thread can be found here:
Raffle Prizes TBD:

How does a BAR Frag Swap Work? (This post is older but a good intro to how swaps work for those of you who haven’t been to one yet (some details have changed))​

There will be bonus rounds, and a list of bonus/ultra coral can be found here: https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/complete-bonus-ultra-coral-list-2023-update.34392/

Ineligible corals:

1708460389889.png

1713552823341.png

Please note that Captain Jerks, Grandis Palys, Brown button palythoas, nuclear green palythoas, and all species of caulerpa algae are BANNED. We're trying to limit the proliferation of these corals given their higher likelihood of palytoxin, so we will not accept these as frags for the swap, and request they not be brought as freebies. Possession of caulerpa algae is banned by the state of California.

Valid corals:
  • Corals MUST be in clear plastic containers, that includes lids and sides, so no styrofoam. Plastic bags will not be allowed.
  • Corals MUST be labeled with at the very least a description (e.g. name and/or color + coral type), your username. The approximate lighting level they are under can be helpful.
    • PLEASE LABEL THE LID OF THE CONTAINERS. Everyone will look down on them, so it makes it easier.
  • Corals should be healthy and pest free. While we should assume everything could have hidden pests, if your frag plug has Aiptasia or signs of pests it will not be accepted.
  • Frag sizes you should use will vary. I like to say "what kind of frag would you like to see" and use that as a guideline for how much/how big.
  • There's always a debate about mounted versus unmounted corals, and that probably will never get settled, as a result no requirement either way.
  • Things like anemones are ok if they're of a desirable nature i.e. bubble tips, maxi-mini carpets, NOT Aiptasia.
  • Sponges are not valid frags and neither is almost any type of macroalgae, but can be brought for the freebie table.
    • The 'almost' is for caulerpa species, which are now illegal and carry a hefty fine to possess or sell in CA.
Valid bonus/ultra corals:
  • MUST be labeled clearly and cleared before the frag swap.
    • Registration and coral running is hectic; to be fair to everyone, we cannot make spot decisions at the swap.
  • If you think your coral/anemone/etc. should be on the bonus/ultra list, ask beforehand.

Last edited:
He’s listing zoas because Josh asked for input in the post above. But yeah I agree we should make a separate thread for the bonus/ultra update suggestions.
I should probably read the full thread before asking questions...

Also somewhat confused: say I bring 3 bonus frags, for 1 ticket. Does this mean I'm allowed to take only 1 bonus frag from the bonus round? If everyone does this, what happens to the other 2 frags each person brought

Edit: removed bonus list suggestion, just saw the new thread

Also somewhat confused: say I bring 3 bonus frags, for 1 ticket. Does this mean I'm allowed to take only 1 bonus frag from the bonus round? If everyone does this, what happens to the other 2 frags each person brought

Edit: removed bonus list suggestion, just saw the new thread
Correct, re: taking one frag. I clarified this in the other thread, but the remaining frags would then go into the general swap after the bonus rounds.

Correct, re: taking one frag. I clarified this in the other thread, but the remaining frags would then go into the general swap after the bonus rounds.
Oh, that's cool. I don't have too many bonus corals (too many of any coral, really), because I'm just starting out, so it's cool that I could get more than that 1 chance to get a cool coral. I noticed the list suggestion threat says this is on 6/16 but here it says 6/1

Oh, that's cool. I don't have too many bonus corals (too many of any coral, really), because I'm just starting out, so it's cool that I could get more than that 1 chance to get a cool coral. I noticed the list suggestion threat says this is on 6/16 but here it says 6/1
If it's your first time, just focus on bringing 3 healthy corals, meet and greet all your fellow members face to face, and you'll take home more corals than you know what to do with since we have a lot of generous people that prune their established tanks.

Back