Cali Kid Corals

92 F OMG !!!

My little 37G tank in the basement hit a record 92F, bad heather...
Did an emergency water change, 10G to bring it down; fish are "OK", no casualties but the anemone didn't look happy nor the toadstool.

Yeah, I didn't notice anything yesterday while doing the weekly cleaning; normally I don't go there weekdays, my brother feeds the fish before going to work but today I had to drop off some tools I had at work and noticed something wrong, glad I spotted the heath issue.

A bad heather, the tank is in the basement and is a cool place (temp. wise). It's a Hydor something, have two of the same model but nah! not going the same route, grabbed a Titanium with external controller to be on the safer side.
This reminded me of our (my brother and I) first fish-tank; we set it up and on the same night the heather went bad and we woke up with fish soup smell.

you'll be fine, except being out a heater. I used to have a sunlit softy tank and didn't realize during the peak sun hours the tank got into the 90s as well (no wonder why they all looked so bleh when they were there :D)

xcaret said:
A bad heather, the tank is in the basement and is a cool place (temp. wise). It's a Hydor something, have two of the same model but nah! not going the same route, grabbed a Titanium with external controller to be on the safer side.
This reminded me of our (my brother and I) first fish-tank; we set it up and on the same night the heather went bad and we woke up with fish soup smell.

Bad bad heather. She should always pay attention to your heater :D

I hate internal thermostats! Glad you caught it before it became a complete melt down. The only thing you may depend on with an internal thermostat heater is that it's on a count down to either sticking open (off) or more likely closed (on) creating reef Cioppino. Good catch, Mario.

Well the casualty is the frogspawn, medium sized colony is gone. Anemone is happy as the clowns it hosts. I took the toadstool home and is opening just fine.
Now to get the nitrates down with water changes; I left five more gallons mixing for tomorrows WC.

Sorry to hear about your heater malfunction, but glad most of your livestock survived. Your experience reminds me to finally get around to installing my RKL.

eldiablosrt8 said:
hey mario i have a few multi head frags of frog spawn i will trade for a head or two of those duncans you guys had??
Hey Jess,
Back up plan: My duncan mutha colony is always happy to be sawed a bit. Let me know if you want me to add a few duncan heads to the other coral I'm holding for you. We might think about hooking up in the next couple weeks if there's a time you might be out my way.

PS Your T2 temp and ph look pretty low, Mon. My guess is that it's time to recalibrate your ph probe but I could be wrong. :) Does your tank really get down as low as 72 deg F? That's a little scary to me. :O

lol..... only one temp probe is in the water.....LOL

as far a the PH probe i never calibrated the new probe im still learning the controller, its worth it if you can understand simple programming.

we can hook up at neptunes next time you head down there. and yes i would take a frag of those duncans

Jess let me get the Mission Impossible outfit and snatch a frag out of my brother's tank when he's at work. No need for frogspawn, at least yet, I have to do a major change in the little tank too many limited edition brown zoas in there.
Hey John, Are your Duncan the purple-ish kind? My brother's are the green-green ones if you want a frag of those you are welcome to it.

Sunday so it means check the little tank but no cleaning this time; just a water change and that's it.
The dead skeleton of the frogspawn has life coming out of one of the branches; amazing what nature can do !! two tiny heads showed up.
...and oh yes, spotted one aiptasia; I thought those things were gone for good.

if you use internal thermostats, use two smaller heaters rather than one large heater. (even with a controller, 2 heaters is better than 1 :-D)

Back