got ethical husbandry?

A. millepora Frags available?

Hello,

My name is Leslie. I am a PhD student at UC Davis and I am studying thermal tolerance in corals. I have a few experiments planned that require A. millepora. I am curious if anyone here has a few fragraments, maybe like 6-10, that I could purchase? Eventually I will need to scale up this experiment, but 6-10 fragments seems like a reasonable starting point. I would also be happy to learn your recommendation for a supplier for when I am ready for more fragments.

Thank you!

You should consider Neptune. They always have lots of milli frags in the $20 section.
She's a PHD student. Providing frags seems to be right up the club's alley without her having to resort to spending money. Most of our tanks are probably overgrown now since there's been no swaps and fewer events for us to move frags.

However, I am sure someone will shortly post then why don't you donate some. If I could keep SPS healthy these days I'd be happy to donate a colony, but sadly I've lost my touch. So instead, if we can't find enough members to supply her for free I'll happily offer to subsidize the cost if members would like to sell the frags themselves -- as long as they agree to get them to her. Helping a PHD student studying thermal variance in different species falls directly within our groups core values, and I would think be something we'd all get behind.

She's a PHD student. Providing frags seems to be right up the club's alley without her having to resort to spending money. Most of our tanks are probably overgrown now since there's been no swaps and fewer events for us to move frags.

However, I am sure someone will shortly post then why don't you donate some. If I could keep SPS healthy these days I'd be happy to donate a colony, but sadly I've lost my touch. So instead, if we can't find enough members to supply her for free I'll happily offer to subsidize the cost if members would like to sell the frags themselves -- as long as they agree to get them to her. Helping a PHD student studying thermal variance in different species falls directly within our groups core values, and I would think be something we'd all get behind.
@robert4025

if you are unable to obtain 6 to 10 pieces you are looking for. I'll gladly pay for them for your studies. neptune aquatics is in san jose. they have a lot in their 9.99 and 19.99 bins you can pick from. I have tagged the owner of neptunes and gladly pay for it.

Last edited:

I understand, but she did include the word “purchase”. I would gladly donate if I had that many, but I don’t. I also agree that this is in line with our core values and we should go a step further and not only support this kind of research...the hobby wins!

Neptune is a great way to get a lot at once at little cost.

@robert4025

if you are unable to obtain 6 to 10 pieces you are looking for. I'll gladly pay for them for your studies. neptune aquatics is in san jose. they have a lot in their 9.99 and 19.99 bins you can pick from. I have tagged the owner of neptunes and gladly pay for it.
I don’t have any milli frags, but would chip $ in to the donation jar to get her some to study.

Hello,

My name is Leslie. I am a PhD student at UC Davis and I am studying thermal tolerance in corals. I have a few experiments planned that require A. millepora. I am curious if anyone here has a few fragraments, maybe like 6-10, that I could purchase? Eventually I will need to scale up this experiment, but 6-10 fragments seems like a reasonable starting point. I would also be happy to learn your recommendation for a supplier for when I am ready for more fragments.

Thank you!
I got you covered. I am more than happy to help! Shoot me an email to NeptuneAquatics1752@gmail.com to let me know when you’re coming into the shop so I can have my staff expect you.

@robert4025

Thank you so much!! I have contacted Neptune's and hopefully I can arrange a pick up soon!

Back