Neptune Aquatics

A question before I cut my skimmer

I want to cut my skimmer cup on my CSS 65 to install an emergency overflow pipe. Basically what I wan to do is cut a hole for 1/2 PVC, so when it overflows (which they do completely at random) it dumps into the tank and not on the floor ;).

My question is what would you use to cut the cup? I'm thinking my Dremel with a grinder bit going slow and trying not to overheat the plastic, any suggestions.

My remorac just has a tapped hole in it's cup. A 1/2" barbed elbow is threaded into it for attaching a hose to overflow into a bucket (or 2L jug etc).

I am sure mikey has access to the proper size 1/2" NPT drill bit and tap. Then you can go to homedepot and with a little teflon tape and fitting, get all squared away.

[quote author=stubbsz link=topic=3872.msg45351#msg45351 date=1213220238]
wow, i thought you were going skimmerless when I read that subject.
[/quote]Hehe, not yet.

When these guys flood, they don't fiddely fart around, they drain your tank. It needs to be setup for high volume flooding :D. Plus it will be on a 20L so every gallon will count.

Tony this isn't US grade plastic, it's Chinese grade plastic, that is why I'm concerned about the plastic heating up and becoming brittle.

BTW, it's for a look down chalice/LPS tank, I keep redesigning my approach, and I think I might have a winner.

Drilling and tapping with sharp tools will be less heat then grinding with a dremmel.

BTW, it's for a look down chalice/LPS tank, I keep redesigning my approach, and I think I might have a winner.

I'd like to get a yearly subscription to this newsletter.

i have a couple of holesaws that I keep nice and sharp/new for finer work . You are more than welcome to them .

I would think high speed , low pressure should work right ?

Since you are only going through a thin piece of material, you won't have issues with frictional heating with the sidewall of the cutter. Your plan should be fine.

Back