High Tide Aquatics

A soon to be "hello" from afar (asking for tank relocation advice :D)

Just let Screebo's Cryogenic-tank movers do the job. the entire tank is super chilled with all livestock and aquascape still in tact. When the metabolism of the inhabitants slows to near zero, the tank is flash frozen and shipped overnight. That's the easy part. Now, upon arrival, you simply let the tank thaw out on it's own accord and wait for all the little guys to wake up. Some day.................

seminolecpa said:
Someone who was going to do that got something else that makes it a little difficult.
Ya, a minor hitch ;)

Gresham/Jeremy, that was the original plan. Trying to work around the road bump unless I can find another alternative

What you need to house is not much, and like I said, I'll ship it for you (on your cc) via air cargo.

Tony,

I'm with Jeremy and Gresh. A few hours on a plane seems much better than a few days in a car. It also gives you more time to to set up the temp system right.

houser said:
I have air cargo accounts too Tony if you need it... Straight to ABQ!
Any plan needs backup!

IF you have livestock packing experience then you should probably do it since I am MUCH further away from Tony.

Can you pres-screen?

Congrats on your job! Very cool.

cwolfus said:
Tony,

I'm with Jeremy and Gresh. A few hours on a plane seems much better than a few days in a car. It also gives you more time to to set up the temp system right.

+10 on Charles, Jeremy and Gresham.

But, if you insist on driving them: I have successfully kept marine invertebrates alive for several days during road trips just with a power-inverter run airpump. Usually keeping the tanks warm is not the issue - its keeping them cool. I use large beer coolers with a hole drilled through the top with an airline tube through the hole. You can put an airstone at the end of the tubing if you want. Inside the cooler I line with 2 heavy duty bags and after adding water and inhabitants wrap bag around airstone to loosely seal - secure with cable ties. The bag will inflate a bit, but air escapes through space around the airline tubing and will exit the lid of the cooler. I use a large volume of water and sealing the bags prevents splashing. I carry several replacements of water with me and change 1/3 volume every 8 hours or so on the trip. To keep temperature down put ziplock bags of ice (what big-gulps are for at 7/11) in the cooler as needed.

Good luck!

I can prob help. The best thing (IMO, though I haven't asked Karson yet, LOL) is to get the stuff to Aquatic Collection and I'll volunteer to bag and box it up. I have a little experience packing coral and wouldn't spit in ALL the bags (100% DOA looks too obvious!) -Jim

Yeah in the old days I packed up a few things at the old LFS FWIW.

I have a few of the appropriate boxes/coolers/peanuts lying around.
I don't have any bags or liners though. That I suppose could be arranged. Would you need thermal regulation since going to ABQ in summer? Keep it cool??

Thanks guys. Gresh, sent you an email before reading the updates here. Dave, If we can work something out, that might be an easy bet. I'll shoot you an email later today. Jim, that is another good option to consider. The good news is, I have about a month to figure this out :-D No rushing is always a good thing.

wow congrats on the new job Tony. Santa Fe is a nice little town. Theres a nice little town close to it called Chimayo, cool little spanish town. Its like time had stop and everything was frozen in time. Gives you a feeling of how it was 50 years back.

Anyways good luck, i'm guessing you'll be working at Los Alamos National Lab.. lots of photons there :)

Back