Neptune Aquatics

Acan bowerbanki appears to have some kind of sore?

Hi Everyone,

It appears that my acan bowerbanki has some kind of sore.

Will this heal over? Is there something I should be doing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Image00008.jpg

He looks healthy except for the hole. Actually it looks like theres another small hole in the middle of the picture. I dont think theres anything you can do about the dead part. It will still grow.

Did it get stung by another coral or has a fish bit the coral? Be careful some corals look harmless but have longggg stinger tentacles that only come out sometime.

Did you dip this coral before putting it in?

What lights do you have again?

He looks healthy except for the hole. Actually it looks like theres another small hole in the middle of the picture. I dont think theres anything you can do about the dead part. It will still grow.

Did it get stung by another coral or has a fish bit the coral? Be careful some corals look harmless but have longggg stinger tentacles that only come out sometime.

Did you dip this coral before putting it in?

What lights do you have again?

A friend brought me the coral, based on an old picture it did have the sore/hole there. Just didn't have the algae growing from the spot. The coral was dipped. And my tank as a Kessil A160WE.

I think the coral was stungby another coral in the past. It will be fine. You can try cutting the deadspot out but the algae will probably grow back. I think the coral will be fine :)

Me personally i would pull off the algae with my fingers and scrub carefully at the dead spot with a small tooth brush. But thats risky.

As long as it stopped receding then you should be fine. It is worth noting that most lps will not grow back over dead skeleton as its to rough. Some pieces you can smooth out the remaining skeleton and that will be enough to get it to grow over I've found that just cutting out the dead area seems to be the quickest and safest solution as long as the piece isn't stressed for any other reasons. Recent moves, lighting or flow change, wacky parameter swing. Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I would take that Algae off Asap. If you see it getting worse and have nothing to lose . I would use a hydrogen proxide dip 1:8 ration 1 part hyrogen proxide and 8 parts salt water for 3 mins that will kill off any algae. The Hydrogen proxide should be the 3 % solution bottle you can grab at any local store. Your gonna start to see it bubbling make sure you give it a quick rinse in running water and shake off any excess bubbles. good luck

Back