Cali Kid Corals

Accidently overdose Ca over time

newfly

Supporting Member
Rookie mistake. I was planning to temporarily increase my ca dosing to slowly increase the ca. Well, that was 1 month ago, and i got busy and did not check the parameters besides Alk.

My Ca is now over 500 ( my test kit max out at 500) . It was 420 a month ago. I double my calcium chloride daily dosing. Luckily its a gradual increase over a month. Ak at 8.8. Mag =1350, Phosphate 0.04, Nitrate = almost 0. ( i manully dose to get to 5'ish once a while).

I am just going to stop dosing ca and let it drop to 460'ish. I'll try to monitor weekly. I figure slow drop is better than drastic change. Alternatively, i can do more WC.

Any thoughts?

Found this online. Since my alk is good, maybe just high ca alone is not too much to worry about?

"At the same time that calcium is measured, alkalinity levels should be measured as well. There is a strong relationship between calcium levels and alkalinity that should not be neglected. If the calcium levels get high (over 500) there is a tendency for alkalinity to drop. Conversely, if alkalinity levels get too high, calcium levels will tend to fall as calcium precipitates out. Therefore, check for a desired calcium level between 400 and 450 ppm, and alkalinity levels between 2.5-3.5 meq/L (7-10 dKH)."

Not sure which Ca test kit you are using, but you should be able to refill the syringe and keep titrating until you get an endpoint. The result for the extra amount needed to get to the endpoint can be added to the 500 from the initial syringe to find the real value. It probably won't be that much over 500. Also, since your alk hasn't plummeted, that is another indicator that it probably isn't that much over 500.

Simply stopping dosing Ca and letting it drop is a fine solution. Just make sure that you do keep checking the Ca until you get it back where you want it.

Agree to just stop dosing Ca until it gets back to the range you want. The resulting decrease will be nice and gradual. Keep an eye on Alk as well as Ca during this correction period because your high Ca may be causing more Alk than normal to be consumed, so when you correct the Ca your Alk could rise too much if you keep dosing it the same.

Thanks for confirming. I’ll increase my Wc routine frequency more but mostly stay the course of stop dosing.

Good point of monitoring Alk. Thanks!

Not sure which Ca test kit you are using, but you should be able to refill the syringe and keep titrating until you get an endpoint. The result for the extra amount needed to get to the endpoint can be added to the 500 from the initial syringe to find the real value. It probably won't be that much over 500. Also, since your alk hasn't plummeted, that is another indicator that it probably isn't that much over 500.

Simply stopping dosing Ca and letting it drop is a fine solution. Just make sure that you do keep checking the Ca until you get it back where you want it.
I agree with this. You are likely ok as your alk is still in range.

Back