Cali Kid Corals

Actinic light question

Lyn

A couple meetings ago, there was a presentation on lighting. A couple people said that they rarely changed their VHO bulbs because they were only for color. I have some questions:

1. Is it NECESSARY to change out actinic bulbs along with the white bulbs on a regular basis?

2. Does the type of bulb make a difference? PC vs. T5 vs. others?

3. If you do (or don't for a while), how often do you change them out?

1: IMO, No. As you mentioned in the beginning they're MOSTLY for color, however they do add some light, and might make certain pigments in the coral a bit more pronounced (Fluorescing)

2: Yeah it does, all "actinic" bulbs are not made the same, hell all "actinic" bulbs of the same type (T5 for example) aren't the same. People have preferences to what they like, I'm a fan of the UVL Super Actinics, others will swear by VHO bulbs

3. T5 bulbs? 2 years or so is when I might start thinking of changing out, often I'll have at least one on standby so I can plug it in and see how it compares to the others.

Thanks Mike,

You've just saved me 50% of my lighting bill. :D Good thing I didn't purchase them yet!

Another question: Do most people use a 50/50 ratio of actinics to white? (if you are not doing MH, of course)

I'd probably change the bulbs on a regular basis -this is due mainly because of the change in the spectral output of the bulb. This can lead to lower PAR output, as well as possibly promoting undesirable algae growth. But I guess in a sense they don't NEED to be replaced; after all I know a couple folks who have gone over the recommended replacement time, without adverse effects.
I've never used VHO's, so I can't say from experience how often those should be changed. For PC's, I changed my bulbs once every 8 months. On a couple occasions I've used the same bulb for up to a year. T-5's I made a point to replace every year, though I have been told they can go up to 18 months. I have only been using MH's for less than a year, so I can't speak for those :)

I think it depends on the situation, for example a T5 bulb being overdriven is going to lose its punch fairly quickly, as opposed to a T5 that is only driven to HO levels. If you are using a Blue Plus for example the punch is lost fairly quick either way. A T12 VHO tends to keep its punch much longer, don't ask me why.

My point is that with T5s many people use them to not only fluoresce the corals, they are used to provide PAR to the corals, where the T12 UVL Super Actinic is a specialty bulb for the beloved "pop". It all depends on what you are doing, I prefer a combo of ATI Blue Plus and T12 UVL VHO, the T% UVL bulbs just aren't what the T5s are.

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=6764.msg87270#msg87270 date=1236644993]
Anthony,

So you change all your bulbs equally regardless of whether or not they are actinic or white?
[/quote]

Yup, for the most part :)

Ok, so if I am running either PC or T-5 Actinics, lets say 100% actinics to make it easier, then if I don't change them regularly, the PAR output will go down and that in turn will adversely affect the corals?

If I ran half 10,000k and changed them regularly, and half 100% actinics, I would still need to change them regularly because older bulbs loose PAR, it that correct?

I don't think a lower PAR level will adversely affect the health of your corals, but I could be wrong. I'd imagine you'd see slower growth rates though.

Back