Neptune Aquatics

ADA Act. compliance Q

Don't do it Mario, the thought of you in rollerskates and a miniskirt churns my stomach :D

Also don't worry about the neighbors, if you get sued for ADA non-compliance "well my neighbor doesn't either..." won't be an acceptable excuse.

See the way it SHOULD work, is if someone disabled can't "whatever" and feels their rights have been violated they file a complaint with the city/state, that then does get turned over to the business owner as a requirement to make changes or face a fine. The whole federal/state law leading to civil lawsuits just smells of the bullshit tactics of other groups like the RIAA/MPAA where yeah you follow the law, but how many times have there been criminal trials based on breaking the law?

sfsuphysics said:
See the way it SHOULD work, is if someone disabled can't "whatever" and feels their rights have been violated they file a complaint with the city/state, that then does get turned over to the business owner as a requirement to make changes or face a fine. The whole federal/state law leading to civil lawsuits just smells of the bullshit tactics of other groups like the RIAA/MPAA where yeah you follow the law, but how many times have there been criminal trials based on breaking the law?

Sure, but it is in the self serving interest of the City to promptly ignore those kind of complaints.
Business bring in revenue, disabled people do not.
So to give the law teeth, they added the ability for the disabled to sue.
Bit of a no-win situation.

What might help is if they make it 100% the responsibility of the building owner.
The theory: if you can afford to own a building, you can afford to make changes.

What also might help is for the City to streamline permits and have examples on
how businesses can get into compliance.
After all, a few bags of concrete for a ramp is only $50 or so at Lowes, but
actually making a legal approved inspected ramp is probably over $2000.

Ahh, sorry to hear about your ADA issues in SF. I'd give you some advice but not for that town. There nuts over there and my ass is still burned.
The only thing I can say is do the best you can in getting a wheel chair and blind person in the door. Then have a written procedure for how to porter for the customer. Sign and a bell is a good starting place.

ADA is a total joke and you can't design a building to be compliant. It is impossible. You design for some disabilities but you can't get all of them.
My current project in Berkeley has around 9 million in items you would say are for ADA compliance. (ADA Compliance is incorrect. The correct way to say that is meet the Title 24 accessibility codes.) How do you design a 6 story residence hall for a Quadriplegia that is legally blind? yah. Feel my pain. Feel it.

Qwiv said:
Ahh, sorry to hear about your ADA issues in SF. I'd give you some advice but not for that town. There nuts over there and my ass is still burned.
The only thing I can say is do the best you can in getting a wheel chair and blind person in the door. Then have a written procedure for how to porter for the customer. Sign and a bell is a good starting place.

ADA is a total joke and you can't design a building to be compliant. It is impossible. You design for some disabilities but you can't get all of them.
My current project in Berkeley has around 9 million in items you would say are for ADA compliance. (ADA Compliance is incorrect. The correct way to say that is meet the Title 24 accessibility codes.) How do you design a 6 story residence hall for a Quadriplegia that is legally blind? yah. Feel my pain. Feel it.

I heard from more than a few in the trade that Berkely is one of the worst towns to work in as far as dealing with the planning dept. and building dept.

Mario, stop by the SF Building Department (5th floor) in the afternoon some time next week. Send me a PM.

My boss has the ADA handbook and he was saying he found some sections that might be of help... We were actually talking about this very topic about a week ago.

Do note that the Building Dept. does not enforce ADA. They enforce Accessiblity (Ch11A or 11B) in the CBC.

Jimmy

Back