Jestersix

Adorable Bickering Behavior from Ocellaris Clownfish

lattehiatus

Past President
One of the reasons why clowns continue to be my favorite marine fish is their personality. I thought this was just adorable behavior from my clowns and managed to capture it on camera. If you look at the detailed HQ video you can distinctly see their mouths moving as if they were talking - I have fun coming up with imaginary dialogue.

[youtube]BFX0STDmKi4[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFX0STDmKi4

This mated pair of ocellaris clownfish, Bob and Bobette Bobert (yes I name my fish, don't judge me! :p), have been regularly spawning for some time now. Typically Bob, the smaller fish, acquiesces to Bobette's dominance and does her bidding without nary a complaint. On this day, she is bulging with eggs and impatient to spawn in the clay pot. Bob is tidying up the pot, cleaning off the surface with his mouth. Bobette tries to help with the cleaning, but is obviously getting into Bob's way. He chases her out of the pot and has some strong words for her, but that doesn't stop her from trying to clean again so she can lay the eggs quickly.

lattehiatus said:
as if they were talking

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10265882

Scientists Deconstruct Clownfish Chatter

May 18, 2007

The computer-generated clownfish stars of Finding Nemo were quite the chatterboxes. It turns out that real-life clownfish talk to each other, too — although their conversations probably have less emotional baggage.

For more than 70 years, scientists have listened to the little orange-and-white fish make strange chirping and popping sounds. Now, they think they know how the fish do it.

Researchers at Virginia Commonwealth University used high-speed videos and X-rays to peer inside the noisy fish. As the fish opened and raised their mouths in a certain way, special ligaments on the jaw snapped the mouth shut, making the clownfish's teeth bang together.

"It's not like grinding teeth; I mean, it's a quick collision," says team member and biologist Michael Fine. The impact seemed to reverberate through the jaw.

Clownfish aren't the only fish that talk. A lot of species send out warnings or love songs. Some vibrate their swim bladders; others send out burbles of air.

"There are even names, of course, associated with it — like croaker, sea robins, drums," Fine says.

Those are species that are easy for people to hear. But Fine says the voices of other fish are more mysterious.

"There are groups of fishes that we don't really have any idea how they make their sounds," he says.

But now, says Fine, clownfish and their clacking teeth can be taken off that list.

The study appears in the journal Science.

Whoa, that is awesome - thanks Gresh!

BAYMAC said:
lattehiatus said:
as if they were talking

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10265882

Scientists Deconstruct Clownfish Chatter

May 18, 2007

The computer-generated clownfish stars of Finding Nemo were quite the chatterboxes. It turns out that real-life clownfish talk to each other, too — although their conversations probably have less emotional baggage.

For more than 70 years, scientists have listened to the little orange-and-white fish make strange chirping and popping sounds. Now, they think they know how the fish do it.

Researchers at Virginia Commonwealth University used high-speed videos and X-rays to peer inside the noisy fish. As the fish opened and raised their mouths in a certain way, special ligaments on the jaw snapped the mouth shut, making the clownfish's teeth bang together.

"It's not like grinding teeth; I mean, it's a quick collision," says team member and biologist Michael Fine. The impact seemed to reverberate through the jaw.

Clownfish aren't the only fish that talk. A lot of species send out warnings or love songs. Some vibrate their swim bladders; others send out burbles of air.

"There are even names, of course, associated with it — like croaker, sea robins, drums," Fine says.

Those are species that are easy for people to hear. But Fine says the voices of other fish are more mysterious.

"There are groups of fishes that we don't really have any idea how they make their sounds," he says.

But now, says Fine, clownfish and their clacking teeth can be taken off that list.

The study appears in the journal Science.

I am a fish nerd, I do admit it :D

Funny thing is...

I heard the episode when it aired, but only recalled it when I saw your thread title :D

That's really interesting. I can't wait to get clownfish! Although after seeing Jim's naked clowns, I already want to upgrade to a bigger tank so I can get nekkids too. There is one that has been at Dolphins for months. I go in and see him every time I am there LoL

I can't wait. I am so excited.

Thanks guys for the vid and for the interesting read ^.^

Back