Our mission

AEFW ... found a way to my tank

I have to let people know that I have found AEFW in my tank about 2 weeks ago during a water change. Despite all the dipping that I did upon receiving new coral, I still get it. Probably an egg or a flatworm slipped in despite all the dipping thing. The good thing, I have not passed any acro frags, so I feel better that I am not infecting any people.
At this time, I am doing the basting method. It is funny that now, my damsel understand that my hand and turkey blaster means food and they always stand by for it. The Bartlett anthias, that so far has been watching the damsel, started to take a bite here and there too. Thinking to prepare a QT tank, move all across, treat all across and put it back in the display tank after 6 weeks or so. So far I have lost 3 acros, all millies. The only good thing is only one of those milli is the LE stuff and that is easily replaceable. I guess, I am not too late and loss the whole tank, so in that regards I am still blessed.

[quote author=Radiolunatic link=topic=4478.msg54518#msg54518 date=1220641802]
I have to let people know that I have found AEFW in my tank about 2 weeks ago during a water change. Despite all the dipping that I did upon receiving new coral, I still get it. Probably an egg or a flatworm slipped in despite all the dipping thing. The good thing, I have not passed any acro frags, so I feel better that I am not infecting any people.
At this time, I am doing the basting method. It is funny that now, my damsel understand that my hand and turkey blaster means food and they always stand by for it. The Bartlett anthias, that so far has been watching the damsel, started to take a bite here and there too. Thinking to prepare a QT tank, move all across, treat all across and put it back in the display tank after 6 weeks or so. So far I have lost 3 acros, all millies. The only good thing is only one of those milli is the LE stuff and that is easily replaceable. I guess, I am not too late and loss the whole tank, so in that regards I am still blessed.

[/quote]That sucks man :p, I just tossed a ton of Acros from my QT where I found one, it's been at least 8 weeks, so now I can finally start to QT again. It just goes to show with AEFW, nothing is certain, they are sneaky little ninjas, and have access to the dark side of the force ;). Also, I looked as hard as I could at Rich's tank while I was there (I was there a few times), and did not see a sign of them , so I think the baster method has a lot of merit.

Out of curiosity how could you tell they were on your millis? it seems to me that it would be tough to see bite marks on such a fuzzy coral.

Well,
I saw one of my milli start RTN from the bottom. The location of the milli almost in the back of the tank. Finally I pull that milli and I saw that the other side of that milli are dead (bite marks) and tons of eggs. I dipped it for the heck of it and tons of AEFW came off. I used TMPCC. Then I pull the other 2 milli besides that milli and same thing. So I decided to toss them as they are damaged beyond repairable and for the facts that all of them has tons of egg. I check all other acros by basting them and AEFW came out from almost all of them.
Yeah basting will help, but probably won't solve the problem. However, I am debating, even I removed all acros, will this can be prevented? If it is almost impossible to be prevented then keep doing the basting method will keep you SPS survive. I just wish someone find a solution for this bastard like the red bugs solution.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4478.msg54549#msg54549 date=1220667373]
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4478.msg54548#msg54548 date=1220666180]
Hey Jeremy, would you mind posting a picture or AEFW "signs" (ie, the telling bite marks)
[/quote]

This is more or less the definitive thread, look at the second picture, you are more likely to see those bite marks rather than see the AEFW.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=899108&highlight=my+own+images
[/quote]

Exactly. This little bastard can't be seen. When in doubt, use the turkey blaster. If anything come off and damsel going after it, that is AEFW.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4478.msg54548#msg54548 date=1220666180]
Hey Jeremy, would you mind posting a picture or AEFW "signs" (ie, the telling bite marks)
[/quote]

Here is couple pics I took a while back

AEFW
33_21_04_07_12_51_09.JPG

Eggs
33_21_04_07_12_19_13.JPG

That sucks Roy. Its a hard choice what to do. A lot of people are just doing the turkey baster thing. Its probably less actual risk to you coral.

[quote author=iani link=topic=4478.msg54557#msg54557 date=1220678110]
That sucks Roy. Its a hard choice what to do. A lot of people are just doing the turkey baster thing. Its probably less actual risk to you coral.
[/quote]
I know, man. Sanjay is doing turkey baster too, but I am not sure if it will be my long term solution. Part of my enjoyment in this hobby is to be able to trade and share, but with the AEFW ... hmmm I won't do it too.
Time to go back to action figure collecting ... :)
Worse case zoanthid collection.

from some of advice i got thru friend that work.keep doing what u doing right now by blasting it with turkey basting at least once a week,don't add any Aquaculture corals,add more anthia and wrass.eventually they're go away or less populate .becareful treating with chemical.i know a friend just loss 90% of his coral last month from doing it.gl

lapsan

Lapsan,

Thanks ... that is what I am planning to do in the mean time. I will add more chromis, wrasse and anthias and do the basting thing. Today I blast all my SPS and only 1 AEFW came off. On the first time, I might hit 50 or so of them.
I know your friend who lost 90 %, as he is my friend too ... :)

Sorry to hear you are going through this Roy.. Seems like it is a more and more common thing going on.. Not the end of the world though.. Seems ilke you can keep them in check and still have thriving sps.... If you need anything let me know...

Thanks Doug,
I think as far as I am ahead with the basting method, I think I will be OK. Just hoping someone somewhere will find a method for in tank treatment. Till then, I think I will choose the "living with them" way. I might change my mind, but for the time being I will deal with it.

I think thats a great attitude in dealing with these buggers... Seems like there are quite a few awesome tanks that are taking the same approach ;)

Back