Cali Kid Corals

Alex’s 26G Max Nano Peninsula (QT for Corals and Inverts)

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
As I have been setting up the new tank, I thought I wanted to record my current nano tank since I am not planning to maintain this after the new tank is up and running.

We bought this tank at the end of August 2022 as a birthday gift for my son's 11th birthday, with mediocre planning. However, we wanted something like this for years but could not buy it as we have lived in different places overseas and moved too often.

We did various upgrades to this tank over the past 13+ months and now have the following setup:

Tank: 26-gallon Red Sea Max Nano Peninsula

Return Pump: Jebao 1200 DCS

Skimmer: Stock Red Sea (bought the Tunze 9001, which seemed far inferior to the stock skimmer)

Mechanical filtration: Removed filter sock and replaced with Etsy 3d printed media bag and filter floss, and added a baffle to resolve the skimmer water issues.

ATO: AutoAqua + 5 gallon reservoir

Powerheads: 2 MP10 (seemed too much, but someone at AC recommended using 2)

APEX Jr.

Heater + Controller: Aqualogic (former Rancho) TR115DN Two Stage and 100W BRS Titanium Heater

Auto doser: EcoTech Versa - Kalkwasser

Various KASA Wifi Plugs

Rock and Substrate: Blended Caribsea and Live Rock from Saltybottomunderground and two packs of Live Sand from AquaBiomics.

Electronics cabinet: Handmade by @Meshmez who gave this away for free.

Lights: Reefi Uno Pro 2.0

UPS: APC
IMG_6143.jpeg
IMG_6145.jpeg
IMG_6144.jpeg
IMG_6068.jpeg

Last edited:
Even though this tank is about to be taken down in the next few weeks, I have been disappointed not to be able to manage the hair algae growth on certain rocks permanently. I can manually remove them, and then they disappear, but they come back - nutrients have been lower for some time, but I'm not sure if phosphate is low due to the hair algae absorbing this. I do not want to move my rock into the new tank until this is resolved.

Therefore, I have just done another Triton ICP to determine what could be wrong and would like to fix this before any additional rock transfer - I have transferred one rather clean rock only.

IMG_1198.jpeg

IMG_1197.jpeg

IMG_1196.jpeg

Following the recent Humblefish interview on ReefBum, I decided to keep this Nano tank for now and continue to use it as a coral and invert quarantine tank.

However, it seems as if a tank temperature of 81F is recommended to achieve a high likelihood of disease free corals and inverts over a six week period.

Does anyone see any issues with the high of continuous temperature for inverts (snail, urchins), and corals?

I typically keep the temp between 77.5 and 78.

Things start to stress above 82. Possible death. So at 81. You’re up there. Summertime might be a little hard to keep cool. They should be fine at 81.

Thank you, Will. Seems like 81 will then be the upper limit in the heater temp range. Rancho can only keep temps within 1 degree so will consider this when changing. Thanks!

Great looking tank. Good call keeping it for QT. Thats what I need to get setup as well. I've already plopped in a lot of new corals into my DT because I have no space elsewhere.

I keep seeing @Darkxerox recommend the thermometer for calibration purposes. I need to get on that and do it. I'm using inkbird wifi controllers for both my tanks. I haven't even looked to see if I can calibrate them. But at least if I know they are off, I can mentally offset them and make a note of it on the controller.

Great looking tank. Good call keeping it for QT. Thats what I need to get setup as well. I've already plopped in a lot of new corals into my DT because I have no space elsewhere.

I keep seeing @Darkxerox recommend the thermometer for calibration purposes. I need to get on that and do it. I'm using inkbird wifi controllers for both my tanks. I haven't even looked to see if I can calibrate them. But at least if I know they are off, I can mentally offset them and make a note of it on the controller.

@ReyDeFarts - Yes, I have one Inkbird for my Pico tank and can calibrate them. And if you are not yet using a reference thermometer, you should.

This is the tank I have started with, and I am pretty happy with this. Tons of copepods and amphipods, no algae despite high phosphates (0.2), and constantly showing new baby black foot trochus and dove snails. Unfortunately, I am running out of time every weekend to move some of the corals into the main display tank. The NPS in the front is our favorite, and is doing very well.

IMG_1474.jpeg

I've come to terms with the philosophy that this is not high phosphates! Lol
The ‘high’ phosphates in this tank are the greatest mystery to me. Phosphate was almost the exact same amount after a 50% water change than before. The skimmer sucks so bad and is doing probably nothing with phosphates, but there are no fish in this tank, only inverts and corals, and very litte food goes in. Should probbaly come to terms too, but want to figure out why.

@Alexander1312
What are the zoanthids?
Orange yellow skirt with magenta pink center
I see 2 clusters of them
No idea unfortunately. I was going to ask you guys actually. This was an (expensive) frag with two or three polyps I bought from CaliKid a year or so ago, and it grew quite nicely, even better than the scrambled eggs next it. I have moved the original frag to another rock where it continued growing, which is why you see them on two different areas.

The ‘high’ phosphates in this tank are the greatest mystery to me. Phosphate was almost the exact same amount after a 50% water change than before. The skimmer sucks so bad and is doing probably nothing with phosphates, but there are no fish in this tank, only inverts and corals, and very litte food goes in. Should probbaly come to terms too, but want to figure out why.
if the readings are the same, I would be suspicious of the test kit and or your technique
Your tank on the other hand, says looking good in here!

No idea unfortunately. I was going to ask you guys actually. This was an (expensive) frag with two or three polyps I bought from CaliKid a year or so ago, and it grew quite nicely, even better than the scrambled eggs next it. I have moved the original frag to another rock where it continued growing, which is why you see them on two different areas.
If you frag any…Bruce and I would like to help grow more
They are some beauties

Back