Reef nutrition

Algae on my baby blue Paly's

Hey guy's Iv'e been a bay boy lately and been running my halides for roughly 11 to 12 hours a day for about three weeks straight and my blue Paly's have a coating of algae on them if I cut back my lighting back to 7 hours and do a water change will this stuff eventually die off? My lighting shedule is set by timers for 7 hours but I was turning them on manually to Ooh and ah at the tank all day because I took some time off between projects ;D, there is no sign of algae anywhere else in the tank but on the Paly's pads.

Tank perams are as follows:

PH - 8.1
temp. 80-81
Nitrate 0 ;D
Phosphate 0 ;D
DKH 10
Mag. 1050 :( (working on it-Ca reactor inlet tube got clogged up >:().
Calcium 320 >:( ( same as above- Ca out of the effluent is 460 & mag is 1200).

Thank's Mark..........Monster skimmer owner ;D.

Mark,

Photoperiod should help, Temp is a little on the warm side for my taste but sill in range. Can I see a pic of what you are talking about, having a hard time visualizing it. What does the algae look like.

Wow that is just wierd. Can't say I have seen anything like it. Are you sure it is algae? Is there any way to move the rock out of your tank and maybe dip it? It looks kind of fungus like to me. Shoot Mr. Ugly or Fun Guy a pm. They are both pretty resident zoa/paly experts. Perhaps they could have some input.

I'm going to sound kind of stupid here for a minute, but there's algae on them? If anything they look like they're simply changing colors due to having a super long photoperiod.

BTW, those things grow like freaking weeds for me, and I do recall when I tossed them into my sunlit frag tank, they browned up pretty awful, however bottom of a tank under T5s and they stay that super baby blue color.

Back