Our mission

Alkatronics experience

That’s what I use, it does indeed last a very long time.
Finally received the solution. I know I need mix it with RODI at 1:4 ratio. I am planning yo use a measuring cup. 600ml solution with 2400ml rodi. Is using measuring cup good enough or I need to be a lot more precise? Some suggest using kitchen scale.

Any thoughts?

When I was using it I would use a 1L graduated cylinder. 200 ml of solution 800 rodi. I also weighed it a few times. I found from bottle to bottle there was some difference and just mixed it. Ran tests for a few days then tested with hanna and made correction. I didn't think the absolute value is important rather the trend or keeping the number stable.

When I was using it I would use a 1L graduated cylinder. 200 ml of solution 800 rodi. I also weighed it a few times. I found from bottle to bottle there was some difference and just mixed it. Ran tests for a few days then tested with hanna and made correction. I didn't think the absolute value is important rather the trend or keeping the number stable.
Thanks

I use a kitchen scale, makes it very easy (and accurate). Like anything else, I doubt it matters much as long as you stay consistent so your results are consistent.

My alkatronic does usually read very very close to my Hanna checker though.

FYI I've been using 0.1M hydrochloric acid that I buy on amazon, diluted down 4:1 for many years in my alkatronic. If you want to go even cheaper, just get stronger acid and dilute it down even more. Not worth the trouble for me though.

Actually now it seems the reagent they sell is around the same price as HCl on Amazon (when I first started using the alkatronic the reagent was way too expensive), but you'll get it next day on Amazon at least.

Setting it up finally. How much reagent is used for 2 tests per day? Need to figure out how big of a reagent container. Have limited real estate under the cabinet. Will 1L last a month?

@derek_SR do you have your alkatronic dose? Are you having it just do alk or somehow having it do Ca as well?

I'm probably going to buy one, but having it smart dose Alk and not smart dose Ca seems annoying. I'm trying to avoid buying a dosetronic because that seems way too expensive. I'd rather buy a mastertronic at that point and manually top-off Ca.

Setting it up finally. How much reagent is used for 2 tests per day? Need to figure out how big of a reagent container. Have limited real estate under the cabinet. Will 1L last a month?
I mix up 2L at a time and it lasts probably 3-4 months testing every 12h. So 1L will go at LEAST a month I think.
@derek_SR do you have your alkatronic dose? Are you having it just do alk or somehow having it do Ca as well?

I'm probably going to buy one, but having it smart dose Alk and not smart dose Ca seems annoying. I'm trying to avoid buying a dosetronic because that seems way too expensive. I'd rather buy a mastertronic at that point and manually top-off Ca.

I don’t have it dose anything - mostly because I primarily use the Alkatronic as a tool for understanding alk consumption. I have learned a lot about my tank by making adjustments (lighting or flow or whatever) and then watching the changes in alk consumption, because it tests so consistently to the .xx decimal dkh.

I have also learned that my alk consumption doesn’t vary much over time (increases typically, but there aren’t big swings other than WC) and it’s very easy to dial in dosing separately to maintain very steady alk, so I haven’t seen the benefit in having the alkatronic handling dosing, really.

I also happen to have a dosetronic (I like it) and used to have a Mastertronic (lots more issues than alkatronic, but ultimately I just ended up not really testing for much besides alk so I sold it).

Last edited:
This is frustrating. All hook up ready to roll, and the instructions ask for ph7 and ph4 solution for calibration. Of course it is NOT included in the box.

Will have to make a trip to Neptune tomorrow. Arg…

it’s pretty tight in there. Am I going to regret it? How often you need to mess around with the unit once it’s up and running?

Small container is going to be the reagent , gallon container is for soda ash(alk) and the rectangular bucket is my kalk. I have to remove the reagent container to “service” the unit. I think it’s manageable

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpeg
    IMG_0632.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 17
Just the tubing in the pump heads. The rest of it I would base on inspection. If nothing's growing in it don't replace. The intake filter I would change pretty often (like 2 months), just depends on how much sponge and other junk grows in the sump

completed the setup. First 2 back to back tests shows

9.58 and 9.83 dkh. I guess consistent is okay? I really don’t know what to expect. Hanna is at 8.0dkh. I can live with the delta as long it’s consistent.

I’ll let it run for a week and report back.

completed the setup. First 2 back to back tests shows

9.58 and 9.83 dkh. I guess consistent is okay? I really don’t know what to expect. Hanna is at 8.0dkh. I can live with the delta as long it’s consistent.

I’ll let it run for a week and report back.
That's a pretty huge variation between back to back tests. Let me know how things look when it gets into a schedule. If I perform back to back tests they will be identical to the 2nd decimal every time. Mine also happens to match my Hanna, but that could be the way in which I'm mixing my reagent or whatever. Agree with you that consistency is what matters.

I want to set the test at 8am and 8pm. How do I do that? I can only see the test interval setting in the app. How do you set start time?

I want to set the test at 8am and 8pm. How do I do that? I can only see the test interval setting in the app. How do you set start time?

You can try shutting it down and then starting it up an hour before you want to test. And then perform a manual test immediately on startup and it will usually test 12 hours later. I think it’s supposed to do a test within an hour of turning it back on so the manual one may not be necessary but it’s worked for me. It’s a little wonky, but I’ve been able to get mine to go morning/evening pretty reliably. I do 7am/7pm

Back