Jestersix

All work and no play makes Jack...

ATO with big reservoir! (Tank inhabitants are cheering about this one, too.)
Also figured out sweet setup like others for moving water and water changes: brute cans on rollers, Mag 5 for dedicated mixing and pumping, long tube, sometimes PVC U to hold hose if working alone with DT. By plugging pump into power strip with switch I can turn it off/on easily when I am working alone.
Great idea to switch to a MaxiJet for accessing smaller areas in sump. My skimmer section is totally cramped and I have to move everything to get a Mag pump in so I tend to skip it.

Totally agree! I have a 12 gallon slim/tall black plastic trash bin under my computer that I use for my ATO reservoir. So nice not having to refill it constantly.

It's black and matches my TV desk so It does a good job blending into my living room. As opposed to something like a white 5 gallon bucket with Instant Ocean on the side.

I forgot about installing a power strip! This was one of my early huge improvements:

Buy a hard-mounted power strip with individual switches for each plug, like the American DJ series:
p-28875-PC100A.jpg

You can install it in your cabinet or nearby and allows you to individually turn on/off any part of the tank that isn't on a controller. It's hard to believe I spent 2-3 months plugging and unplugging powerheads and heaters in our nano when I was doing maintenance. Saves a ton of time and also makes it clear at a glance what is turned on vs. turned off - easy to see that you disabled that powerhead and forgot to turn it back on.

This is less useful for me now that I have an Apex, but I would always use these guys in the future.

Back