Jestersix

Almost had a Heart Attack!

I just got my PG&E bill for last month and saw the amount due was $673. At first I thought that maybe the bill was for 2 months, but after a closer look I saw that it was for just 1 month. Time to go around and start looking at what I can turn off.

OUCH!
flat screen Plasma TV's are big users that some people are unaware of.
Of course AC.
Wife's hair dryer.
Certainly not the reef tank.

JAR said:
OUCH!
flat screen Plasma TV's are big users that some people are unaware of.
Of course AC.
Wife's hair dryer.
Certainly not the reef tank.
Thats what I told her. She was blaming the tank. I think it is because we have 6 people living here and the A/C was on a lot last month.

WOW !!!

Is that close to what you normally pay? I rather walk a dog and pick the c**p than cleaning my skimmer for that price; I like dogs but picking the c**p makes me just like them from a distance...

Hope they made a mistake on the bill or it's time to go Solar

I have 36 solar panels. No AC, and if you divided your bill by ten my bill was less than that!
House is 100% electric.
Only 3 of us though.
1815shoreline004-1.jpg

JAR said:
I have 36 solar panels. No AC, and if you divided your bill by ten my bill was less than that!
House is 100% electric.
Only 3 of us though.
1815shoreline004-1.jpg
JAR said:
House is 100% electric.
Only 3 of us though.

Awesome! Are you running a spa/hot tub on the same grid and central air/heat too. My wife and I are getting ready to switch over as we are 100% electric as well. Living on the Coast we don't get a lot of hot weather or sunshine through the marine layer, but we think solar is the way to go, possibly wind generation since we are so close to the ocean and don't get a lot of sunshine. We have a spa and want to put in central heat using electric, that's why I ask.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_5405.JPG

We do have an electric spa!
We heat with a wood stove and the house is passive solar.
All the south facing windows heat the house.
I would not heat with electric.
It's too costly to make that much electricity with solar.
I think natural gas is most efficient.
Insulation is your friend.

Hah, Phong with the way your house is situated, if you got panels on there you'd probably be running the meter backwards most of the time. Sunshine alllll day man.

I had a heart attack reading your post! This is my first tank and it's only a FOWLR so I'm wondering what my first bill will look like. The thing is...is that my wife pays it, not me. :O We don't have AC at our house, we use the ocean AC. It's almost heater time and the PG&E bill gets pretty expensive. :(

I nearly had one of those heart attack moments this morning when I opened a bill from my dentist and looked at the Amount Due box... yikes. Of course further reading shows they sent a request to the insurance company for reimbursement, so that bill will get knocked down by about 75% (and yeah it was around the same cost as Brian's electric bill :D)

Back