Cali Kid Corals

Ammonia

Hi everyone. I just transferred my corals sand rocks and fish into my new 100GL. I added 60lbs of dead sand and put my $40 lbs of live sand form my old tank on top. Everything is fine except that I have ammonia at .5. What should I do?

Did you use all the sand or just the top layer, I don't think you're supposed to reuse sand without washing it, because of all the stuff trapped on the bottom..

i transferred the whole 55GL water. as for the sand I scooped them out and put them on the fish net so I can seperate the sand and crush corals, since it was 40lbs of sand and 20 lbs of crusch corals. I didnt wash the sand. Shoot

I'm leaning to an addition of GAC (carbon), a water change and maybe some bacterial product like Prodibio or the likes.

Batiatus said:
I added some activated cabon on my filter sock. should I add more?

Not sure if the filter sock is the best spot. What happens with too much agitation is the GAC breaks into micro particulates which both fish and corals don't like. I would use a bag and put it in there if you want to use the filter sock method. That will allow more flow with less agitation.

What brand did you use and how much?

Like Matthew said, too much will (not might, will) cause your PH to go up.

I got me a new tru vu sump and refugium will install it tomorrow and sametime change the water. Also I have a pump rated at 1054. it this enough for my 100?

I have a 1090 on my 120g, works well.

The culprit is probably the addition of the new dead sand. I'm guessing its going through a mini-cycle again. Keep track of parameters and water changes with good source water.

its been two days and my display tank still a little cloudy. also my for some reason my the water going to the internal overflow got loud. its sounds like your peeing. what can i do about that

yellojello said:

The culprit is probably the addition of the new dead sand. I'm guessing its going through a mini-cycle again. Keep track of parameters and water changes with good source water.

"dead" sand or rather dry sand shouldn't cause any cycle. Nearly all dry sand we buy has very little organics, if any at all. IN other words, nothing to break down into ammonia.

GreshamH said:
yellojello said:

"dead" sand or rather dry sand shouldn't cause any cycle. Nearly all dry sand we buy has very little organics, if any at all. IN other words, nothing to break down into ammonia.

I see. Thanks for the correction.

Back