Kessil

Anemone tolerant corals

Starting a nem/clownfish harem tank and wanted to add a few other corals in there for color. What corals can stand the sting of an anemone?

I have a large pavona and some mushrooms that have been fine mixed with the nems for a while now.

What else? Maybe some corals that can fight back.

Pectina?
Favia?
Hydnophora?

Well I certainly have some experience with this and will share.

80% of euphyllia will always win the battle against nems and the nems just move away or keep a close distance from them after a couple battles.

Leathers never die but definitely don’t enjoy the conflict.

Sps obviously lose every time

My pectina also lost the battle surprisingly enough.

Mushrooms don’t enjoy them much and wilt away quickly after contact.

IME, there is also a size element to euphyllia being able to hold their own. Larger colonies for me have done way better than three or four head pieces (I've only done this with branching hammers). I've got a large sinularia (maybe nephthea?) in my nem tank that does well, but smaller pieces get overwhelmed easily. Decent size rhodactis and fuzzy mushrooms also seem to hang pretty well and my blue plating sponge seems basically immune. Like @Bruce Spiegelman says, be prepared to lose or move anything you put in with them. Also, things can stay fine for a while and change.

I've had RBTA's take out frogspawn, not sure about other euphyllia. It wasn't large enough to shadow the nem, but the heads definitely took a hit. Pulsing xenia could hold back galaxea, and I don't remember it ever taking a hit from my RBTAs when I had it.

Back