Kessil

Any one have experience with a Dolabella Sea Hare?

My nitrate dosing experiment landed me with a pretty large hair and turf algae issue. I only like using natural means of removal so I’d like to borrow a sea hare for a few weeks.

If not, anyone know where to find one locally?

Last edited:
My nitrate dosing experiment landed me with a pretty large hair and turf algae issue. I only like using natural means of removal some like to borrow a sea hare for a few weeks.

Tangs and urchins are good for that.

My nitrate dosing experiment landed me with a pretty large hair and turf algae issue. I only like using natural means of removal so I’d like to borrow a sea hare for a few weeks.

6th Ave in SF had 2 Dolabella's when I went this morning

Worst. Store. Ever.
Yeah some people think "I'll save that animal by buying it!" and others think "I'll never support them by buying stuff there!"

Honestly, I don't see them stopping their "dump everything together and sell whatever you can" philosophy.

Anyway ... back to the original thread!

V

Never kept one, but I've worked with the toxins these guys make at my job.
If I had one of these in my tank, I would run carbon, and keep it fresh, just in case it turns itself into a smoothie.

I'm thinking about getting one to bulldose it and then start a sort of ”DBTC” and have it passed on throughout the club.
That would be awesome. I have a tiger tail thu had it on the pay it forward. I have more will creat a DBTC for it.
Its actually fun seeing them multiply..

I've had two. They make the poop factories that we call freshwater plecos look like amateurs. Then again, given how much algae they eat it has to go somewhere. The first decided to clean the algae off of my MP60 one day a month into its tenure and never left. It didn't spaghetti like a nem, but it didn't survive either. I didn't see a huge dent in my algae, but at that time I was pulling a softball of compacted hair algae (yes, really) out of the tank every couple days. I was also nitrate dosing, but more importantly I think I was leaching a ton of phosphate out of my rocks and the nitrate dosing was keeping the algae from starving the coral while letting the phosphate slowly lower.
The second I think I had in my sump. It lasted a month or two and died of unknown causes. Whatever the cause, a shortage of hair algae was not at fault.
I knew another guy who had one in a nearly pristine 75 for years. No idea what it ate other than the nori he put in, but it kept the tank clean apparently.
I've heard many tales of how they can poison tanks, but I've never seen it happen despite knowing a few people (myself included) who have had them croak in tanks, so I wonder if that's a real risk or wives tale at this point.
Based on how easily my two died (while everything else in the tank thrived), I'd be a bit nervous about having a formal loaner.

I've had multiples over the years. Never had an issue at all, and they are the hardest working critters in the tank. I've also had them die in thre tank with no issues, and I've had them survive for a few years just fine.

Thank you all for the info. I am going to give one a try. I'll update if I find one. I will call AC today, and wish I could call Neptune...ugh

Back