Neptune Aquatics

Anybody has any experience with Teco Seachill chillers?

alve

I will need to buy a chiller before summer and have been doing some reading online.
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Teco Seachill Chillers?
I am considering the 1/3HP TECO SeaChill Chiller TR20 but it is a lot of money and was wondering what you guys think about this one.

Here is the link:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~seachill~action~view~idProduct~FP94520~idCategory~FICHINTCBC~category~1_3HP_TECO_SeaChill_Chiller_TR20_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Chillers_In_Line_1_3_HP___Greater_With_Built_in_Controller~vendor~.html

Anything better out there for this price or cheaper?
Oh yeah, it is for a volume of 150-200g so I think I will need a 1/3hp chiller.
Thank you.

I have a Teco, it's insanely quiet. I've never really needed it to kick in, but I turned it to kick in at 77 degrees just to test it. It's very quiet, it even has a "silent" mode where it cuts efficiency a tad but is dead quiet. They claim to be 15% more efficient than competing chillers (shrug) as well. They can also be ordered with a UV and heater all in one smalllllll unit. It looks so freaking cool too for a chiller.

radar1:
it says: "Full Auto Digital Temperature Control System: This built-in thermostat will automatically control your desired set temperature within +1/-1 Fahrenheit."
Does this mean you can plug in a heater and it will control cooling AND heating? It doesn't explain very well.
Also, what kind of pump would you run to feed the 1/3hp chiller?

kinetic:
Thanks for the info as well. What kind of pump do you run to feed the Teco? I do like the part that you can attach a heater and the thermostat controls heating and cooling.

[quote author=alve link=topic=3530.msg40277#msg40277 date=1207889175]
radar1:
it says: "Full Auto Digital Temperature Control System: This built-in thermostat will automatically control your desired set temperature within +1/-1 Fahrenheit."
Does this mean you can plug in a heater and it will control cooling AND heating? It doesn't explain very well.
Also, what kind of pump would you run to feed the 1/3hp chiller?

kinetic:
Thanks for the info as well. What kind of pump do you run to feed the Teco? I do like the part that you can attach a heater and the thermostat controls heating and cooling.

[/quote]

yeah it has a built in temp controller! it's super sleek and modern looking, and I think it's really dang quiet. It's quieter way quieter than the lighting fan that's for sure. Though the fans are a bit loud on my light.

I use it inline with my Remote Deep Sand Bed pump, which is a Quiet One 1200.

So I went ahead and ordered the 1/3 HP Teco with optional heater last week. It arrived yesterday and I stopped at OSH after work to get the tubing and set it all up, it was very easy to do.
The unit is very nice looking and runs quiet, even without the "silent" mode. I changed the temperature settings up and down to get the cooling and heating tested and everything seems to work great.

Now the summer can start, I am ready! ;D

Last weekend I set up my auto top-off and next thing on my "to do" list is deciding about a good calcium reactor. Then I should be done spending a lot of money for a while, I hope :D

Yes, that is the fun part!

Aggree with the money spending being a never ending cycle but the corals add something nice to the display, something you can look at and enjoy. I don't mind spending money on that instead on a box that is sitting on the ground next to the tank and knowing how many coral frags I could have bought for that amount of money ;D

At least it feels good not to have to worry anymore when it gets really hot about temperature going out of control.

From aquariumspecialty.com:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40_43_223&products_id=1148

That was the cheapest I found. Marinedepot was $899, this place was $752. The strange thing is when I just looked up the link it now shows $899.00 as well. I double checked my invoice and I did pay $752 for the TR20. Guess I was lucky and they realized they selled it quit a bit cheaper then other websites and changed their price after I ordered.

Back