Kessil

Anyone Drill a Glass Tank in Use?

OK....I caught another flood situation in the nick of time when my overflow was loosing its syphon. It's time to consider drilling the tank. (Yes Mike I should have done this prior to setup but I was young and stupid so stop nodding your head and smiling!)

So I found the following video on YouTube. Anyone done this or have recommendations? What are the REAL chances that the glass will crack and I'll have to run down and buy another tank?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlaOl-dBniI

-Gregory

real chances? Eh... you're exerting an outward pressure and you're grinding through the glass at the same time... if you get careless and nick the glass so that it causes a chip, you very well could get a flood.

If you really don't want to move things around, what I would do is get some cans buckets, whatever (I forget how large your tank is) drain it all the way down until the fish get really pissed for the tide going out (toss them in one of your buckets, it'll be easier to nab fish when they can't swim), who cares about the corals, corals can survive out of water. Then drill. When you're done, slap your bulkhead on, make sure you have something to plug the whole if you're not absolutely ready to hook up your overflow, and put the water from the buckets back into the tank, replacing fish as it is.

Other than that, make sure you have the proper size bulkhead and cap before you start the project :D

I'm using Sprung/Delbeek The Reef Aquarium vol 3 as my main plumbing reference. Is this good or should I be looking elsewhere? (I have never worked with PVC before)

-Gregory

Back