Jestersix

Anyone got a good microscope?

So I have these small jellyfish in my sump. I want to know where they come from.
They are small (~0.5mm). I also get bigger ones but rarely (like every 1/2 year I see one).

Anyway, I'm looking to borrow a microscope, preferably with Nikon mount to take pics.
If you are not comfortable to lend it to me, I could bring jellyfish to you and provide some catalyst (mmmm beer) ;-)

p.s. Beer is provided in both cases ;-)

I have one, with a mount, but I haven't gotten a chance to figure out how to actually use it....

Let me know if you want to borrow it. Only caveat being, gotta let me know how it works. :D

I have this adapter which you can use on the trinocular port.

http://www.camadapter.com/

Here's what you'll get to play with. :)

microscope.jpg

Here's a close-up of a moss frond at 600x.
moss_021309.jpg

IMO/IME for such a large creature as a jellyfish (most likely not a jellyfish but rather a medusa stage of something else ;) ) the scope will be rather useless unless you want extreme close ups as to where you don't know what your looking at. A good tripod and macro lens will suite you better. Most of the close ups we use in our marketing I took with my macro :)

I get these too and they are really tiny and almost transparent. They do look and act just like jellyfish. so tiny your naked eye barely sees them but lots of fun to watch.

Back