Cali Kid Corals

Anyone have positive experience with Sebae Anemones?

Apon

Supporting Member
I was think about trying one and wanted feedback. If you are wondering why I am asking so many questions lately is I believe the hobby livestock is only going up everywhere so might as well try while these are still available/affordable.

Arnold

I only had short term success twice when I tried them. I often see them for sale at LFS (or used to when I could go to an LFS), but never see them in fellow reefers tanks so I am guessing they don't last long for most folks.

... I believe the hobby livestock is only going up everywhere so might as well try while these are still available/affordable

This might be a interesting thread on its own. Interested in your thoughts on price and future availability.

I had one that grew from 4” to 12” in a year but I had a wild tomato clownfish that would bring food to it from the surface or other side of the tank (unlike my tank bred ocellaris clowns now that steal food from their host).

Keep in mind they look cool when they come in white (bleached) with purple tips but they end up shoe leather brown.

Mine stayed with its foot in the sand for a while and then found a place in the rock work. They have a large flat plate shape that sort of folds in half at night and your clownfish will sleep inside it like a fish taco.

This might be a interesting thread on its own. Interested in your thoughts on price and future availability.
My thoughts on this....
  • CITIES recently stated that all coral should aqua-cultured.
  • Hawaii ban on Tangs (other countries may follow Hawaii's lead)
  • Shipping costs and restrictions have gone way up.
  • In my 20 years in the hobby I have never seen things get cheaper, so I am assuming things will remain the same or get worse.

I had one that grew from 4” to 12” in a year but I had a wild tomato clownfish that would bring food to it from the surface or other side of the tank (unlike my tank bred ocellaris clowns now that steal food from their host).

Keep in mind they look cool when they come in white (bleached) with purple tips but they end up shoe leather brown.

Mine stayed with its foot in the sand for a while and then found a place in the rock work. They have a large flat plate shape that sort of folds in half at night and your clownfish will sleep inside it like a fish taco.
Y for info....Do you still have the anemone? What kind of food did your fish bring to it? Pellets and flakes? or only meaty foods?

Y for info....Do you still have the anemone? What kind of food did your fish bring to it? Pellets and flakes? or only meaty foods?

No, this was like 20 years ago and I ended up giving the anemone and clownfish to another reefer when I moved. The clownfish would grab pieces of shrimp and swim them into the middle of the anemone, sort of wiggle until the anemone got ahold of it, and then swim back out. I don’t remember what it did with flake food.

Back