Neptune Aquatics

Apex control screen went black

So I've had my apex for just under a year and earlier this month the screen went black. The control is still working. But the controllers back lights are not on. I called neptune systems and they said I need an update on the software.

I have no idea how to do this and since the light doesnt work I can't see the display on the controller.

Who could help I'm in Fremont.

Have you tried their Reef Central forum? Some of those guys in that forum seem to know more then anyone :lol:

Did you speak to Curt? Surprised theysaid that upgrading the firmware will fix it. My back light went out on my controller also. Lucky for us it's a fast turn around. Send him an email for a RMA #. Might be able to drive over there and get if fixed on the spot if you ask. :)

Yeah especially if it's that 1 year window, definitely would be an RMA solved problem I would think... especially after Curt used to scoff at the RKE using software to fix hardware issues.

Worst case / last resort : if it comes down to taking it apart, I can probably help with that.
I have a fair number of tools, and electronics is my day job.
Perhaps we could get enough light behind it to read it and update firmware.
Or perhaps fix the CCFL/LED back light.
Union City. You have been here.

I ran into that issue when I was trying to update a firmware and did something wrong. (I forget exactly what it was, but it was my fault). Curt talked me through completing the firmware update and it then worked perfectly (with a much better firmware).

Thanks guys for the suport, but they tried to help me through it with no use. So I just go back from droping it off.

I did learn how to do the update, with out having to see the display on the controller.

Back