Cali Kid Corals

Aptasia Control HELP

I've had good luck with a product called Aiptasia-X, yeah you see some pop back up, but I think if you keep on top of them (chalk it up to your weekly maintenance) you'll end up killing them.

I think peppermints worked for me. I was PLAGUED with them for while. Insane numbers. Got 4 PMS. At first, I thought they were duds. Eventually, I noticed the aiptasia fading away. Only big ones remained, then finally none (I believe they prefer to munch on small nems over the larger ones). The bonus is when they spawn..free live fish food :p

IME experience for peppermints to go after aptasia you need to not feed the tank anything for about a week. The peps will eat almost anything, so if they don't have to eat the aptasia they often wont.

I had a tank overrun with aptasia at work and the display fish died. I put two peps in there and fed nothing. They ate all the aptasia in a week.

Here's a sure fire way to rid yourself of aptaisa, have your syringe handy from all the joes juice?
Take some kalkwasser and put it in a small container (such as a baby food jar) add some R/O water to it to make a paste (like mayonaise) turn off all the pumps, fill there little bellies with the paste and watch them grab ahold of it and digiest it. Within ten minutes the aptaisa will disolve before your eyes (gone). Don't forget to turn the pumps back on, watch your PH, it may climb a bit but will not be dangerous, if you have slot of pests then do it in a few sessions.

Happy hunting,
Mark

I put 4 in my 30g and they took it out in three weeks flat....with heavy feeding.

I recommend Copperbands, using them help me. one of them took care of my 90g tank. Ask your LFS to feed it before you purchase one and see if it eats.

corals b 4 bills said:
Here's a sure fire way to rid yourself of aptaisa, have your syringe handy from all the joes juice?
Take some kalkwasser and put it in a small container (such as a baby food jar) add some R/O water to it to make a paste (like mayonaise) turn off all the pumps, fill there little bellies with the paste and watch them grab ahold of it and digiest it. Within ten minutes the aptaisa will disolve before your eyes (gone). Don't forget to turn the pumps back on, watch your PH, it may climb a bit but will not be dangerous, if you have slot of pests then do it in a few sessions.

Happy hunting,
Mark

:D

I have had it work and not work, so who knows.

I do have a copperband that eats aptasia. I had to remove it from the tank because it grew a taste for acans. If anyone wants him let me know.

Rich

We may be interested. The other measures that we have tried have not been very effective. The only concern is compatability with other tank mates and the size of the tank. We have small clown, small yellow tang and small blenny. The tank is only 24g. Is the copper band the one that you picked up a few weeks at aquarium showroom? What we read online it copperband is difficult to maintain. Is that true?

Let me know what you think.

Mike Ray

Question. Is there a certain water conditions that cause Aptasia to grow well. Light, temperature, etc. We have tried every suggestion made on this thread to no avail. We just can't seem to get ahead of the Aptasia. The only thing that we have not tried is the red sea product.

Mike

Stay with it. You can do it.
It's not a full time job, but if you spent 15 minutes a day for a few weeks you might be surprised how well you have done!

mray2660 said:
Question. Is there a certain water conditions that cause Aptasia to grow well.

Excess food causes them to grow, also molesting them will cause them to increase their population IME.

I make my own slurry that is much thicker than any of the commercial product and seems to work well. I do prefer to use natural predators though.

Two week ago we did the the kalk paste treatment and we have the plague. It seems when we use joe juice, the blue water, kalk paste etc we seems to make things worst for this tank. For our 55 g kalk paste plus blue water product we were able to control them. That is why I asked it water chemisty matters. Let us give reduction of food.

Mike

I use thick kalk paste. You have to do that every 2-3 days. Kill the big ones then the small ones. It will take a while but you can do it. Just kill anything that pop up. Some will take several tries before it die. I just kill one that took 3 tries. Each time it became smaller and smaller and disappeared.

Back