High Tide Aquatics

Aquatraders overflow box dimensions

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is using overflow box from Aquatraders and if so do you know the exact dimensions:

http://www.aquatraders.com/continuous-siphon-overflow-600gph-bulkhead.aspx

I am mostly interested in sizes of a,b, and c.
___
| | b | |
| | | |
|____| | | (sideview of overflow box)
a | |
|_______|
c

I sent an email to their help desk but did not get a response.

I need "b" to be at least 1 inch, and "a" to be less than 1.5inches.

I'd go with the company Aquatraders knocked off...CPR :) Excellent customer support and even youtube videos showing how to install and use :)

http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/overflows.html

Email CPR directly for complete measurements of CS Overflows.

Now watch an informative video with an overview of the installation process of the CS Overflow. This is listed on our CS Overflow Forum, or go to youtube - http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=-zVGwdRVHU4.

The CPR looks nice and got very good reviews. I usually don't go with cheaper equipment since I had bad experiences with them before. :(

But, in this case, there is nothing electrical or mechanical about this overflow box. I am trying to justify the 2.5X-3X price difference in my mind. I also thought about getting some acrylic from TapPlastics and doing it on my own but Aquatrader version seemed very reasonable. Is there really that much difference between overflows?

Hey Cem its nice to see you over here on the dark side :) I can't remember who but it might be hellolights or reefgeek has the cpr's on sale righ tnow.. For a great price. Check out both sites.. like 69 for the medium sized one and 99 for the 1500gph model... Much better construction.. Ian used one of the aquatraders ones for awhile. I think he still has it. You might Pm him for the dimensions...

Here you go.. Great price IMHO for the 1500gph model.. I paid 60 for a used 600gph one...

http://www.reefgeek.com/product/CS202_Overflow_Box_-_1500_gph_by_CPR_Aquatic

The Aquatraders overflow is made from extruded acrylic that does not bond very well. The CPR is made from cast acrylic, I've used many of them in the past and present. On my service accounts they are the only overflow box I'll use, it allows me to sleep at night.

One little thing though, I like to make a little light shield using black ABS, or black acrylic, to keep algae from growing inside the siphon just a simple L shape to place on top, you can pick it up to remove it if you need to do any inspection.

Not a direct knock on them, but a lot of time craftsmenship is the cause for a higher price. I mean if you pay 3 times less and it leaks all over your floor and they won't replace it because of bad customer service which one would you rather have.

[quote author=Roc link=topic=4694.msg57147#msg57147 date=1222818121]
Not a direct knock on them, but a lot of time craftsmenship is the cause for a higher price. I mean if you pay 3 times less and it leaks all over your floor and they won't replace it because of bad customer service which one would you rather have.
[/quote]CPR took the time to develop the product, Aquatraders blatantly ripped off their patent. Plus they use much better materials.

[quote author=Roc link=topic=4694.msg57147#msg57147 date=1222818121]
[/quote]

CPR tries to source as much as they can right here in Cali, Arcata to be exact. CPR build everything up in Arcata. Aquatraders buys 100% Chinese made. No Comparison between the two. Call Aquatraders with a defective product and once you get a replacement let me know ;) IMO/IME they have one of the worst reputations around for poor service and defective products. Now call CPR even with out buying the prdoduct and see how they treat you :)

Not only did they take the time to design it, they offer insane customer. Half the time i call I end up getting the president :D

There store moved to the corner of the street my parents live on :D Man talk about bad mojo, although I did secretly hope they'd pull a trick like they did with other stores and simply refuse to pay back rent and leave all their equipment there, I'm sure I could scavenge through something :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4694.msg57157#msg57157 date=1222820043]
There store moved to the corner of the street my parents live on :D Man talk about bad mojo, although I did secretly hope they'd pull a trick like they did with other stores and simply refuse to pay back rent and leave all their equipment there, I'm sure I could scavenge through something :D

[/quote]

Oh man..I've scavenged closed down LFS's...some scary stuff lurks in defunct stores :(

Cem I would really think about drilling your tank if all all possible. Some LFS's will drill the tank for you for like 20 a hole.

I got mine off of ebay for under 50 with 4 1" bulk heads, 2 hoses, and a power head to restart overflow if power goes out. Best to drill or have it drilled. Also, you don't have to come home to 10 or 20 gallons of water on floor. If you decide to continue with overflow box get a check valve for line feeding the tank from your sump.

Hmm.. You guys talked me out of the cheap overflow box , and right when I was about to order the CPR, now I am considering drilling.. I have wanted to drill this tank but I have been nagged to buy the livesand and rocks so soon, so I ended up starting the tank..It has the rocks arranged and full of water. So. What now? I have read people drilling their tank by emptying out half of the tank and using regular wood hole driller ..

If it is risky, I guess I will need to empty out everything, take it to an LFS and get it done but I really really prefer not to do that if drilling is simple.. It is a 50 gal (36 x 15 x 20 ) Truvu.. I assume they used acrylic , not plexiglass.. So if I drill, where do I drill? Top corner, maybe 1inch from top of the tank?
Thanks for all the feedback so far..:)

YOu normally wnat to try and stay the diameter of the hole away from all edges.. It is really easy to drill plexi or acrylic. . YOu want a normal holesaw with pilot bit.. I'll normally drill the pilot bit first going slow as not to bind the bit and crack teh tank. IF the holesaw is too grabby for you to feel comfortable drilling it just put the drill in reverse.. It will take longer but you don't risk cracking the tank that way.. Drill half way outside in then finish it inside out and you'll be good.. Most of the acrylic bits will float and you can just scoop them out of the tank with a net

If you want it done right take it to lfs! Usually $20 a hole. Can't beat it. You would pay more for the (correct) bit for drilling. If you're adventureous, and would like to risk shattering your tank with no home for your sand and rock, drill it yourself. I would practice on a cheap or free tank before drilling. While drilling keep it cool! Otherwise the bit will start to shutter in the cut and shatter the glass. Good luck.

[quote author=webberz link=topic=4694.msg57204#msg57204 date=1222864509]
If you want it done right take it to lfs! Usually $20 a hole. Can't beat it. You would pay more for the (correct) bit for drilling. If you're adventureous, and would like to risk shattering your tank with no home for your sand and rock, drill it yourself. I would practice on a cheap or free tank before drilling. While drilling keep it cool! Otherwise the bit will start to shutter in the cut and shatter the glass. Good luck.
[/quote]

He said the tank was acrylic, not glass. It would be really easy to drill an acrylic tank. Just do what fishnfst said to do.

depending on how thick the plexi is you can still shatter it. Even if you have a block of wood behind it. Plexi will melt and then spider. Still keep it cool.

Back