High Tide Aquatics

Are these Vermetid Snails on my Torch Coral

MikiCab

Supporting Member
Hello Everyone. I have these hard,red spiky things growing on the torch coral that I just got from Aquatic Collection in Hayward. I have had it for about 3 weeks and they look like they are getting bigger. Are these Vermetid Snails?
Let me know what you think. I am getting back into reef aquariums after a 30 year absence so I am re-learning everything. From what I read Super Glue seems to be the cure for this issue. If there is any other remedy please let me know.
Thank You in advance.
Richard

Attachments

• snail 2.jpg
    snail 2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 78
  • snail1.jpg
    snail1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 71
Remove with a bone cutter or screw driver etc. rather smash/remove rather than cover up. Super glue should work tho. Not sure if those are vermetids tho. Do they have tubes? Or is it more solid?

Doesn't look like it.

Red things look like Foraminiferans and the white things are Spirorbid Worms
Thank you. That is exactly what they look like. Foraminiferans from the article you sent and other stuff I read about in the last 5 minutes seem harmless and add to the biodiversity of the tank. Let me know if I got that wrong. I will leave them alone.

Thank you. That is exactly what they look like. Foraminiferans from the article you sent and other stuff I read about in the last 5 minutes seem harmless and add to the biodiversity of the tank. Let me know if I got that wrong. I will leave them alone.
You got it right. They're harmless.

I have a bag of sand that was collected for me in Palau that is entirely foraminiferans. Oddly enough, I also have a bag from a beach in Baja (Pacific side) that is comprised 100% of branching calcareous algae.

Back