Reef nutrition

Article on DI resin recharging

I've been recharging my kati/ani resins for years using the aforementioned chemicals. Although, I just use a 5 gallon carboy and gravity feed the diluted chemicals into the Kati/Ani units seems much easier too). :)

I get my sodium hydroxide from:

www.essentialdepot.com

Watch for their sales and usually comes with free shipping.

I've been recharging my kati/ani resins for years using the aforementioned chemicals. Although, I just use a 5 gallon carboy and gravity feed the diluted chemicals into the Kati/Ani units (seems much easier too). :)

I get my sodium hydroxide from:

www.essentialdepot.com

Watch for their sales and usually comes with free shipping.

Just wondering if there are opinions on how useful DI is?

From the freshwater days, before RODI, Union City water was very hard, but
did not seem to have nitrates/phosphates or other issues.
Although since we have chloramines, might be important.

We had pretty good water here in Millbrae also. The addition of chlorine, chloramine, & I've even heard at times ammonia is a cause for concern.

gimmito said:
I just use a 5 gallon carboy and gravity feed the diluted chemicals into the Kati/Ani units (seems much easier too). :)

Can you explain a bit more how your process differs from what he does? In particular I am curious about the separation step. It seems like a carboy would make it harder to separate not easier.

51ffac89.jpg

Mike,

The cool thing about the Kati/Ani's is that I don't have to separate the media. I just pour the chemicals in the 5 gallon carboy. I then let it gravity feed into the units and flush them until I get 0 tds.

Jim, the Kati/Ani sounds similar to the mixed bed resin in a DI unit. How is this more beneficial than a DI unit with a mixed bed resin? Is it just the regeneration maintenance?

Denzil,

Instead of a mixed bed they are separate for the Kati/Ani. I'm not sure how long you can regenerate typical resins (there's different grades), but I've heard of hobbyist using the Kati/Ani's for over 20 years.
Plus, it seems like slot of work from what that thread showed. :tired:

gimmito said:
Instead of a mixed bed they are separate for the Kati/Ani.

Aha, once I saw the picture and this description I realized that this was significantly different setup than the DI resin sold for 75-150 GPD RO/DI units. I had never heard of Kati/Ani setup though found this youtube video to be a good explanation. Now I wish that my RO/DI setup used separate kati/ani chambers.

I first heard of the Kati/Ani's from Bruce Caeker on a ReefCast podcast. I later found Anthony Calfo and Steven Pro used them for their coral farms. They are made in Germany and the US importer of them was John at Ready Aquatics. Unfortunately, they are out of business. The only business that still carries them is The Filter Guys who are selling off Bruce Caeker's (old US rep) inventory. I run my water through a Kold Sterile Filter for larger particulates and then run the water through the Kati Ani's. The best thing about this system is no waste water, the filters last 5,000 gallons (depending on your source water), & the resins are easily regenerable.

I just picked up a used Kold Sterile Filter on RC for 60 bucks (my old one was getting a little beat up from the moves). I've seen Kati/Ani's on sale there once in a blue moon also, if you can find a number 5 model it would work well for you and Brandie.

Back