Ashburn's 187g endgame II

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by ashburn2k, Jul 8, 2019.

1. A Aaron

A Aaron Supporting Member

I installed it first right from the water source which is where they recommend. Some of the booster pumps say they are not for use after the membrane. They need pressure to work and then just boost it. They recommend a different type of pump for just moving the water after the membrane instead of boosting the pressure before.

I would get 38-40 psi but as the first filter got dirty my pressure would drop to 35 at the membrane. Now it makes no difference I get 90psi all the time. BRS put out a video showing how good a membrane functions as far as water production and efficiency of removing solids at pressures I think from 30psi up to 90. I really recommend watching it if your thinking about a booster because you can decide if you think it’s worth it. I think at 50 or 60 psi you get full efficiency of the membrane and after that you just produce water faster. Like I said I make water crazy fast now.

2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

In San Jose my pressure was around 60 psi but here in CO the most I can get is 50. I haven’t been concerned with it since I’m only making drinking water (no DI), but I’ve thought about getting a pump when I set the new tank up.

3. A Aaron

4EA87E2C-B4D4-4834-B929-734A42373AE5.jpeg

I have it mounted to a piece of shelving so I can move it if I need to.

4. jccaclimber

jccaclimber Supporting Member

Google "NPSH Required".

5. Rostato

Rostato Supporting Member

I put mine right after the carbon blocks before the membranes. I wanted the long contact time with the filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster Staff Member

This is what I did too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rostato likes this.
  7. JVU

JVU BOD

Unless I’m not understanding you, I don’t see how that would change contact time with the carbon, which is determined by flow rate not pressure. It’s the same amount of pre-membrane water flowing per unit time through the prefilter and carbon filter whether you have the booster first or between carbon and membrane. The pressure booster isn’t adding water, it’s adding pressure.

I don’t really know what the effect of having the booster after carbon would be, but all RO/DI systems are designed to be positive-pressure driven, not negative pressure driven, which that setup might do. So the boosters are designed to be used first before any filters as far as I know.

Rostato and Coral reefer like this.
  8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

I put mine after the first sediment Filter and before the second sediment.

9. Rostato

Rostato Supporting Member

Great point. Didn’t think of it that way. But I’ve seen many set up this way. In fact I think specterpure does it that way

10. rygh

rygh BOD

Usually directly in front of the RO stage, after carbon.
    But if you have some sort of valve to automatically stop RODI, that may change things.

11. rygh

rygh BOD

The reason to put it after carbon is more about keeping crud out of the booster pump.

Rostato likes this.
  12. A Aaron

I agree the contact time is the same no matter where you put it. Makes no difference. Also brs sells a small easy to clean screen filter you can put before the pump to keep stuff out of it that will damage it. Makes sense though to put it after first filter to keep pump clean.

13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

I like @Coral reefer ‘s idea; kind of a best of both worlds approach. After the first sediment filter would keep the big stuff from going through the pump but would also keep positive pressure instead of negative pressure for the other sediment and carbon filters.

14. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

I go after sediment to protect pump, and before carbon to avoid fines in the pump.

Rostato likes this.
  15. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster Staff Member

Some growth update photo

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Solitaryensis, glee and JVU like this.