got ethical husbandry?

Asterinas and Harlequins

cwolfus

Past President
I remember reading a few months ago on RC that someone was buying Harlequin shrimp to take care of an asterina star problem. I know that harlequins eat the feet from some stars, but can anyone verify that they will munch on asterinas? Also, do they really only eat the feet? If so what to people do about the rotting starfish bodies that remain? Finally, if you have harlequins munching on asterinas in your tank, I'd appreciate any feedback on how this is working for you. Do you still have to supplement with a monthly starfish purchase as well?

Thanks,

-Charles

Yes, mine etty much eat all of them, I think yesterday I saw only 1 left. I do put in a starfish once a month to feed it. I hardly see the shrimp these days.......it does come out and feed on the starfish when I put him in.

hi charles,

i got a harlequin from naa in sept/oct to try it out with asterina mini-stars since i had a population explosion in my home tank. read up on rc too, seemed to work for other people. so far, the harlequin has its been doing great, seems well fed and getting bigger, and out all the time. really beautiful shrimp when its out, my girlfriend's favorite shrimp, no problems with any of the other cleaner shrimp or fish. i haven't fed it any starfish to see how it would do with only asterinas and it seems fine.

i don't have any issues with rotting mini-star bodies around that i notice, but the asterina population seems about as much as before.. so overall seems sustainable for the harlequin but still alot of asterinas everywhere. oh well..

Back