High Tide Aquatics

ATO Recommendations?

MikiCab

Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,
I am looking at getting an ATO. I need two for small 15 and 10 gallon tanks. Any recommendations. I see them from $39 - $200+ and DIY which can cost as much as the low cost ones. Optical or Mechanical?
Thanks in advance. I was searching around the forums but didn't see much but I am sure I am just missing the thread.
Richard

I'm paranoid, so I always opted for both (e.g., the Osmolator 3155). My rationale is that an ATO is one of the few pieces of equipment that can cause a tank crash in the event of a malfunction, so I like redundancy.

Given the size of your tank, a simple gravity-fed ATO is a potential option (@thesassyindian did one a while ago, I think). That'd be the cheapest and, likely, most reliable one you could get.

I've been using the Auto Aqua Smart Nano ATO on my 20g tank for about a month now and no problems. It's probably the simplest and cleanest looking design on the market. One electrical wire from the hang on unit and one hose in your water container. Pump is built in.
$55 if u buy it from Coral Vue https://store.coralvue.com/autoaqua-smart-ato-nano

ATO_nano_03.png

I'm paranoid, so I always opted for both (e.g., the Osmolator 3155). My rationale is that an ATO is one of the few pieces of equipment that can cause a tank crash in the event of a malfunction, so I like redundancy.

Given the size of your tank, a simple gravity-fed ATO is a potential option (@thesassyindian did one a while ago, I think). That'd be the cheapest and, likely, most reliable one you could get.
I second that. I have the Osmolator 3155(which is onsale now for $160 at BRS, lowest i have seen), plus a 2xHydros optical sensor incase both Tunze sensor failed. I have RODI line straight to the ATO container, so catastrophic failure (like stuck ON) will not only cause tank crash, but significant water damage. ATO is something i would not get cheap. Equipment will fail ( not if, but when) and you should plan for it.

I've been using the Auto Aqua Smart Nano ATO on my 20g tank for about a month now and no problems. It's probably the simplest and cleanest looking design on the market. One electrical wire from the hang on unit and one hose in your water container. Pump is built in.
$55 if u buy it from Coral Vue https://store.coralvue.com/autoaqua-smart-ato-nano

ATO_nano_03.png
So this is rimmless only? Doesn’t look like it will fit on a standard frame tank

I have looked at all those and I have some ideas. I also looked at some DIY and here is my idea. Build one with a relay and here is one of two of my ideas. I can plug it into a Wemo smart plug or some other smart plug. I calculate my water loss per day and lets say it takes 5 minutes on average to fill up. I can set the Wemo to only be on 6 minutes per day. That way if the water sensor fails it will only run 1 minute longer per day. Plus I can have it only turn on when I am home. Second idea is I could put a float mechanism on the tank. When the water is too high the water would flow back down the the reservoir. I have a CAD program and a 3D printer so I have an idea how to make this work but will take some time to flesh it out. I am on V29 of my greenhouse vent so that has taken a month and 29 versions to get to my liking. I think the timer with a smartplug is a good idea so if the sensor fails your pump will not run non-stop. The good thing about building my own is I can put several relays in series so I have redundancy. I will update with what I come up with. I have the parts on order and should get them by Friday. I am only missing the pump. If anyone has a suggestion for the pump let me know.

I am not the expert on diy route but I can say the evaporation rate may be different everyday.
That is ok. I will have 2 sensors. The smart plug is just set for a maximum about of time. I can give it 5 or 10 extra minutes if I want because the sensors will shut it off but if the sensors fail the timer will keep it from running all day long.

I have looked at all those and I have some ideas. I also looked at some DIY and here is my idea. Build one with a relay and here is one of two of my ideas. I can plug it into a Wemo smart plug or some other smart plug. I calculate my water loss per day and lets say it takes 5 minutes on average to fill up. I can set the Wemo to only be on 6 minutes per day. That way if the water sensor fails it will only run 1 minute longer per day. Plus I can have it only turn on when I am home. Second idea is I could put a float mechanism on the tank. When the water is too high the water would flow back down the the reservoir. I have a CAD program and a 3D printer so I have an idea how to make this work but will take some time to flesh it out. I am on V29 of my greenhouse vent so that has taken a month and 29 versions to get to my liking. I think the timer with a smartplug is a good idea so if the sensor fails your pump will not run non-stop. The good thing about building my own is I can put several relays in series so I have redundancy. I will update with what I come up with. I have the parts on order and should get them by Friday. I am only missing the pump. If anyone has a suggestion for the pump let me know.

I have built many of these.

Post in thread 'Best under $20 item you've ever bought for Reefing'
https://www.bareefers.org/forum/thr...uve-ever-bought-for-reefing.31987/post-460430

I have a Red Sea ato- and so far it has not failed me yet -it effectively has three sensors-
Normal sensor, high sensor, plus built in timer if it runs too long and another leak sensor that will shut it off if it detects water. I think under $200.

That is close if not exactly what I am doing. Thank you for posting. I got a 3D printer so I am printing the box.

Project boxes are fairly cheap and offer IP65 waterproofing. Not sure it’s worth even printing.

Raculety 2 Pack Project Box IP65 Waterproof Junction Box ABS Plastic Black Electrical Boxes DIY Electronic Project Case Power Enclosure 4.53"x3.54"x2.17"(115x90x55mm)
https://a.co/d/d5PkHjW

I’d also consider hooking this up to a timer and only running a few times a day (4-5 timrs) for only 5 minutes at most. Helps to avoid overflowing your tank if for some reason both floats get stuck. It also helps with float bounce in cases where you have significant surface agitation. If you don’t have a timer and have lots of surface agitation, the relay will trigger quite frequently which could wear out your pump faster.

ATO_nano_03.png
Have been using this since Nov 2022, no issues. For a 26-gallon tank.

Has anyone ever experienced an ATO fail on situation? Not a poorly placed feed tube that continues siphon after pump shuts off but a pump stay on fail. I have the fear but have never experienced it first hand (now that I typed that out i'm sure my house is flooding at this very moment)

I ran the smart micro atos (off the shelf at aquatic collection) for many years on nanos without issue. I would replace them every three or so years out of fear of failure. I am still running the micro on my 75g and have a Tunze on the shelf ready to swap out. I am most excited about how far the new tunze ato can push water. I can put the rezy further away from the tank if needed/wanted than the micro.

Has anyone ever experienced an ATO fail on situation? Not a poorly placed feed tube that continues siphon after pump shuts off but a pump stay on fail. I have the fear but have never experienced it first hand (now that I typed that out i'm sure my house is flooding at this very moment)

I ran the smart micro atos (off the shelf at aquatic collection) for many years on nanos without issue. I would replace them every three or so years out of fear of failure. I am still running the micro on my 75g and have a Tunze on the shelf ready to swap out. I am most excited about how far the new tunze ato can push water. I can put the rezy further away from the tank if needed/wanted than the micro.
For this reason some systems have a float valve. I've been using the neptunes ATO without issue. I've had to change out the pump once after a couple years but that is it.

For this reason some systems have a float valve. I've been using the neptunes ATO without issue. I've had to change out the pump once after a couple years but that is it.
2nd that -with Neptune you can also change the time interval that it will run to- to even 30 seconds max-so great on a smaller tank.

My issue was with the FMM that it kept disconnecting-not sure it was the apex brain or the FMM itself -by that point the Red Sea ato came out and I wanted to give that a try.

2nd that -with Neptune you can also change the time interval that it will run to- to even 30 seconds max-so great on a smaller tank.

My issue was with the FMM that it kept disconnecting-not sure it was the apex brain or the FMM itself -by that point the Red Sea ato came out and I wanted to give that a try.
Hmm I've never had that issue. The other reason I like the apex is I've set a delay on how long the sensor needs to be open before turning on the ATO. This is a must for my auto water change system.

Back