Our mission

Automated topoff and waterchange system + "One way" frag/quarantine tank

I already posted this to my tank journal, but I think that the diagram I put together might have more general appeal, so at the risk of committing an internet forum 'faux pas' I am going to double post this here...

Here's an automated water changing and topoff system which integrates a 'one way' frag/quarantine tank to cut down on redundant equipment and duplicate testing. See the full explanation in my tank journal. Link

523948341_wWqMv-L.gif

Having run this for a few months now, a few lessons:

1) The water changing alone isn't enough to keep the frag tank clean. Need to have a skimmer in there. (I was really hoping to not need one.)
2) I do need to manually topoff the frag tank with freshwater or the salinity will rise. Once a week I just pour a couple of gallons in and it's fine.

I love the diagram. :) I do have one question. Is the aqualifter faster than the LM3 that goes into the quarenteen/frag tank? Also, why not put an ATO up to your frag tank too so you do not have to manually top off?

Ok, so maybe that was two questions. :)

Nope, the LM3 is faster than the aqualifter, but when you combine the aqualifter and evaporation, then it's faster than the LM3.

I could put an autotopoff on the frag tank too. Just haven't gotten around to it. The number of floats/pumps is getting a little high, although I suppose it's not too bad considering that I'm getting essentially two separate automated tanks with water changing...

Be careful with the aqualifter. IME they plug pretty easily. I would just drill the tank and let the water overlow into a drain out of the tank.

that's pretty awesome. I always thought I'd hate to maintain yet another tank to do water changes on, but if it gets it's water continuously from the display, that'd do it! Just slap a skimmer in there I guess?

I'll probably set this up this weekend on my old frag tank (turn it into QT).

Thanks for the advice Ian. I am worried about that Aqualifter. Part of the problem though is that it's not easy for me to get from the frag tank to the drain due to the height of the frag tank and the placement of the drain.

Eight said:
I already posted this to my tank journal, but I think that the diagram I put together might have more general appeal, so at the risk of committing an internet forum 'faux pas' I am going to double post this here...

Here's an automated water changing and topoff system which integrates a 'one way' frag/quarantine tank to cut down on redundant equipment and duplicate testing. See the full explanation in my tank journal. Link

523948341_wWqMv-L.gif

Wow... I can't say anymore, but that's very sophisticate stuff.

Back