Cali Kid Corals

Bad if I turn off pump once a day?

I have an Eheim 1260 return pump on my cube tank. For a while I was shutting off my two power heads, and leaving the return running. In the end though, still, too much food was getting pushed into the overflow. I was tempted to just use the ball valve on my return line to tone down the water going into the tank -but I didn't like the idea of putting back pressure on the pump. For the past week or so, I have been straight up turning off all my power heads, and my return pump. I leave everything off for about five minutes while feeding. Is it bad for my Eheim if about four times a week I am turning it off, and back on?
Just looking for a peace of mind :D

I have been turning off my panworld external return pump together with the 1262 Eheim skimmer pump for 15 minutes a day in the last two years, and never had a problem with the pump.

sid700 said:
Just put a T to your return. Let the other outlet back in sump (via ball valve) when feeding.

I wish I had thought of this when I was putting together my return line :( Now that everything is up and running, "putting" a PVC T into my return line would be a major PITA. Taking into account the already small size of my sump, and what I have in there currently, adding a T line back into the sump would make doing maintenance difficult.

Tong, thanks -when gathering components for this tank, I decided on the Eheim because they're generally built very well and durably, and heat transfer is not a large issue. Good to know I can turn off my pump without worrying too much about whether or not it will start again :D

Back