Jestersix

Bah!

I forgot I ran out of flour, now I have to go to the store, that sucks, I'll even have to use some crappy Gold Medal, or something. No Guisto's for me this week, too bad pizza will not be up to the standard :'(

It's quite simple actually it's all about %s

When I can get it I use a preblended flour mix from Naples that my friend gets (he's from Italy, I'm not sure of the brand as he gets it in huge bags, and splits it up). It has both hard flour and semolina mixed, it's a pitbull with lipstick to work with, but the results are awesome.

Domestically I try to get Guisto's Peak Performer, it is pretty hard, but not as hard as King Arthur Bread flour, yet not as soft as an all purpose. I also mix in some Semolina to give it some crisp.

I use a 59% water to flour ratio, fresh yeast (seems to make for a smoother dough), and ~1/2 tsp of salt for every 200g of flour. The semolina to flour ratio is a little rough, I use about 1T for every 200g of regular flour, of course you want to include the weight of the semolina in your flour % to H2O calculation. Mix ingredients until scrappy, and allow them to rest a few minutes (autolyze [sp.] rest) knead mix until smooth, shape into a ball and place in an oiled bowl (not stainless steel). For the best pizza ever let it rest in the fridge for a few days, if your in a hurry put it in a warm spot for a few hours. Once the dough is fermented and you're ready to shape it it is important the you work in a delicate fashion, yeah I know people "toss" pizza I lived in pizza-land for a while, it's just not realistic in the home kitchen, as we are not mixing 50lb bags for each batch of dough :D.When I have a dough that is giving me trouble I will use the roller, do what's best. Start with flour when shaping, and when forming the pizza on the peel use semolina, again the semolina will give you the crisp. Have fun with that part, and don't stress, it takes a little time to develop your own style. If the dough protests and says I'm not gonna stretch, walk away, it will become more cooperative with time.

Polly-O mozzarella cheese shredded, the whole milk stuff, not fresh (I can go into how to use the fresh stuff if you like true Neopolitan pizza, but it's not really practical with our home ovens). The Polly-O has just the right amount of salt, moisture, and fat for our home ovens.

For sauce I use Progresso whole tomatoes in the can. Just grind 'em up in the can with your handy dandy Braün grinder. Heat some olive oil in a pan, add garlic, sauté for a minute or two, add a little Italian oregano, a Tutto Calabria Long Pepper (anyplace that orders from Ital Foods can get them) if you like it spicy, toss in the ground up tomato mixture a few basil leaves, salt, and cook down until thick ~1 hour. That should give you enough sauce for ~600g of flour, I split it up into portions and freeze them.

I use about 1/3 of a lb of cheese for every 200g of flour, a 550 degree oven with a 1" thick stone, shape the pizza on the peel add the sauce, cheese, and slide onto the pre-heated stone (at least 1/2 hr). Cook until the pizza is slightly burnt on the top and bottom, pull out and try not to burn the sh*t out of yourself, especially when eating. what's beautiful is, I eat a couple of pieces, throw a couple of pieces back on the stone (oven off) and they crisp up, I swear they just get better over the course of the evening.

One note, if your oven is dirty don't try his at home, your smoke alarms will go crazy, unless of course you have one of these

620.jpg

That's what we use around here and they work great ;)

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=4655.msg56665#msg56665 date=1222397484]
Hehe.... it's not the recipe, it's the technique :D

But you do have to start with good flour :D

[/quote]Oh shit, the ga-ru is here []hides under a table[/]

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=4655.msg56668#msg56668 date=1222397651]
Haha... Jeremy is the only other person I know that talks about % hydration :D
[/quote]

It's the alkalinity of baking!!

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=4655.msg56674#msg56674 date=1222397770]
He's good with fish hooks too :D
[/quote]I did catch a 30+" halibut out of a canoe @ Pigeon Point (the shark capital of the world).

Hehe... I'm making a big ass batch of brisket, ribs, fried chicken, and I don't know what else for about 30 people this weekend.

Annual class reunion of my kungfu brethren and cisterns(hehe). People flying in from Brazil, New York, SoCal, Georgia, blah blah...

You can crash the party :D

Phong, you gonna be at the Oct meeting? I'll see about bringing some bbq :D

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4655.msg56675#msg56675 date=1222397895]
[/quote]I did catch a 30+" halibut out of a canoe @ Pigeon Point (the shark capital of the world).
[/quote]

And I didn't get any of it :( I thought we where friends :p

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4655.msg56807#msg56807 date=1222531457]
[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4655.msg56675#msg56675 date=1222397895]
[/quote]

And I didn't get any of it :( I thought we where friends :p
[/quote]

Sorry my friend, that was a few years ago, we crashed the canoe two years ago, and are waiting for another free one :D

Now I just buy my seafood from my "connection" ;)

Back