Neptune Aquatics

Bangaii Trouble

One of my larger Bangaii cardinal fish began showing signs of illness about two days ago. Prior to this, the fish was acting entirely normal. Two days ago I noticed the Bangaii in question looked almost to be 'struggling' to keep afloat. The fish almost looked to be bobbing up and down in the water column. Most fish are able to utilize their swim bladder in order to reach, and maintain neutral buoyancy in the water column -this minimizes the amount of energy expended to hold the fish in place. I am led to believe that this particular fish is having problems with its' swim bladder. I suppose this is not an 'illness' per se, but it is an issue. The fish does still eat and all, and looks perfect as far as physical appearance goes.
Water quality is not an issue, I am positive.
Is there anything I can do? Or do I just hold on to my boot straps and sit tight? :(
Any and all thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

If he eats, you can feed Garlic extract & antibiodics.

But sounds like it's internal, and unles you can get the meds to the illness he'll prolly die. Sorry to say that, but I know first hand. I had a 8" Vampire Plece die to internal bacterial infection, hard to watch when there is nothing you can do.

Don't dip him.. it's too stressfull. If you have a QT tank maybe treat the tank with Melafix, lower the temp a degree or two to slow the infection.

Indeed most likely an internal infection and not just a simple swim bladder problem. Water quality can lead to such things, amongst other causes.

Need way more details to determine that though... WQ certainly can't be ruled out if you don't even know the problem :) Please post tank params, last water change, WC schedule, etc.

SoulFish said:
Don't dip him.. it's too stressfull. If you have a QT tank maybe treat the tank with Melafix, lower the temp a degree or two to slow the infection.

dipping does nothing for internal issues, it's only for external parasites. I've found Melafix highly ineffective for any problem.

GreshamH said:
Indeed most likely an internal infection and not just a simple swim bladder problem. Water quality can lead to such things, amongst other causes.

Need way more details to determine that though... WQ certainly can't be ruled out if you don't even know the problem :) Please post tank params, last water change, WC schedule, etc.

Everything seems dandy to me with regards to water quality.
Ammonia nada, nitrite zilch, SG 1.025, temp 78*F
Last water change was conducted about two weeks ago -the tank (20g) receives a 4g water change bi weekly.
Oddly enough, the Bangaii that was showing signs of abnormality is just about back to normal :)

melafix is a natural way to heal, yeah you can go with amoxicillin, tetracyline based stuff, but sounds like this fish is in a fragile state. Harsh meds may kill him as well. Melafix for me helped turn the tides on the infection without killing the fish with the treatment.

If you think he can take it, treat with tetracyline when in doubt as to what kind of bacterial infection it is.

Either way it's gonna be hard to deliver the meds to the location of infection.

Back