Cali Kid Corals

Barb's and John Guest fittings for tubing

I have a reactor that uses 1/2" ID tubing. I'm gonna T this off of my return pump and see how well it does. If it doesn't have enough flow I have 2 other pumps I can use.

One pump uses 3/8" ID tubing to connect to it. The other pump uses 3/4" ID tubing to connect to it. Unfortunately these pumps do not use a male or female PVC.

Any advice (and stores) on what I can use to connect these pumps to my 1/2" tubing would be great. I checked HD/Lowes but I do not see much that will help me. Would rather find something locally in the peninsula or SF.

That is one area of the Bay I just don't know that well in terms of plumbing suppliers :( Might just want to do a www.McMaster.com order... it'll be here tomorrow even if you order tonight.

Thanks Gresham for the link! I see some reducing barbs from McMaster that will work.

@Eileen - Thanks for the info! I'll check out the OSH in FC at lunch time. :)

Just got back from OSH in FC and found a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer barb. :) However, couldn't find a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer barb. :( Amazed at the stuff you can find at OSH but can't find at HD/Lowes.

I haven't been there, but a LFS recommended Urban Farmer for all the odds and ends fittings. You might want to give them a call.

Urban farmer has a good selection for sure! Osh does have a bunch of pvc stuff the other guys don't usually have, specifically barbs. Sometimes ace will have that stuff too

georgec said:
I haven't been there, but a LFS recommended Urban Farmer for all the odds and ends fittings. You might want to give them a call.

Thanks for the info! Looks like it's ez to get too in the sunset. :)

I know some of you guys been to Ewing Irrigation. Do you think they might have barbs/fittings?

Thanks, I'll give em a ring. BTW, is it ok to use the metal hose clamps that use a screw to loosen/tighten or is there something else thats more preferred? Plastic ones?

The metal ones will rust so don't submerge them. I use metal above water and where they won't drop rust back into the tank. I hate the plastic ones with a passion. I end up using a thick ziptie, heating the tubing up and really cinching them down.

GreshamH said:
The metal ones will rust so don't submerge them. I use metal above water and where they won't drop rust back into the tank. I hate the plastic ones with a passion. I end up using a thick ziptie, heating the tubing up and really cinching them down.

I was going to use the metal ones of the reactor which is out of the water. Zipties for the water it is! :)

Back