Kessil

BAYMAC Fundraiser

I was just thinking about ways to raise additional money for the club and was wondering has anyone ever tried a silent auction at BAYMAC to raise funds? With all the unusual stuff in our tanks or cherry frags, or even small colonies, we can get from dealers we could put out 5 or 10 pieces for people to bid on. Just number them and place them in the frag tank at the club table with a clipboard for each for bidding and we’re off…. Just choose either really cool/unusual stuff or catchy LE/Tyree named things and you’ll hook people.

Just a thought

-Gregory

GDawson said:
I was just thinking about ways to raise additional money for the club and was wondering has anyone ever tried a silent auction at BAYMAC to raise funds? With all the unusual stuff in our tanks or cherry frags, or even small colonies, we can get from dealers we could put out 5 or 10 pieces for people to bid on. Just number them and place them in the frag tank at the club table with a clipboard for each for bidding and we’re off…. Just choose either really cool/unusual stuff or catchy LE/Tyree named things and you’ll hook people.

Just a thought

-Gregory
Nearly every auction i have seen at reef events resulted in the item selling for less so IMO that is a poor way to raise money. I would also prefer no auctions or secondary raffles. Some things need my approval and this is one of them.

No prob Gresham ….Being relatively new at this I just threw it out there. I figured either yourself or others would have past experience with this and know whether it was a viable idea or not. (BTW - I wasn’t trying to circumnavigate you. The post was actually directed at you as the PM of BAYMAC. I figured any thread with BAYMAC in its title would get your attention. :) ).

-Gregory

I'm not sweating it in the least bit :) I'm glad your thinking out of the box since we normally don't do those. I just watched an auction at the SW-CFM. Every single coral went for pennies on the dollar. Great for the public, not so great for the dealers.

Feel free to PM, or post, any other suggestions though. The show is after all for everyone and I get stuck in my ways, so a little knocking helps remind me what it's about ;)

I remember the BA-CFM not many corals got to their minimum bid level... which to me said the auctioneers were asking way more than those corals are worth... in this area.

sfsuphysics said:
I remember the BA-CFM not many corals got to their minimum bid level... which to me said the auctioneers were asking way more than those corals are worth... in this area.

When those very same corals get the asking price at the booth, yet do not in auction, one must question what you are saying :) I see this al;l the time. vendors get asking price at the booth, but not in auction.

I was kinda thinking a wet T-shirt contest would be cool!
My wife always thinks I look so hot after I reach a little too far in to the tank and get my shirt all wet. :D

White tshirt with the BAR logo in black?

This will have to be outside, we can't have water spilled all over the floor.

I think a kissing booth is in order! $5.00 a kiss to kiss an octopus!

Actually, I've always thought it would be cool to have some BAR logo swag, not huge items but something like a pen or some frag shears. Clothing is a bit problematic to me, because it's so varied in size and styles, but if we could settle on an item that is commonly used and one size fits all we could sell a stack of them at BAYMAC.

BAR logo pens to sell at BAYMAC and give out to all the local stores?
BAR logo frag cooler to look cool going to swaps?
BAR logo frag shears/clippers?
BAR logo algae magnet?

Or just a bunch of stickers for $1.00 each. :D

IMO, these would also have the added benefit of recruiting new members while people were showing their tanks to friends.

Coolers I have looked into. They run like $5 a piece or so and you normally have to buy like 100 or so. They'll fit like a 6 pack. Manhattan Reefs has really nice ones that fit a LOT more. I can ask them how much they cost.

Clippers ain't gonna happen. I know the min of that and the club can't afford it.

I can do more vinyl cut out stickers, but I suspect the club will have to weed them (remove the cut out bits).

There are at least a dozen out there all ready :) I made some last year.

anathema said:
I think a kissing booth is in order! $5.00 a kiss to kiss an octopus!

Actually, I've always thought it would be cool to have some BAR logo swag, not huge items but something like a pen or some frag shears. Clothing is a bit problematic to me, because it's so varied in size and styles, but if we could settle on an item that is commonly used and one size fits all we could sell a stack of them at BAYMAC.

BAR logo pens to sell at BAYMAC and give out to all the local stores?
BAR logo frag cooler to look cool going to swaps?
BAR logo frag shears/clippers?
BAR logo algae magnet?

Or just a bunch of stickers for $1.00 each. :D

IMO, these would also have the added benefit of recruiting new members while people were showing their tanks to friends.
Maybe a decal that could be ironed onto a shirt.

When I first joined I thought a plastic static sticker of the clown fish BAR logo would be really cool. One for the car, one for the bottom right corner of my tank so that the BAR logo was in all of my tank shots. I recall someone mentioning at January meeting that they had a source for stickers.

Back