Kessil

bee505's 11.4 gal tank

This tanks started beginning of this month on on June 1, 2010. It is currently going through the cycle process.

Tank specs:

• Tank is a My. Aqua 11.4 gal rectangle
    Marineland Penguin BioWheel Filter 150
    Hydor Heater for Nano (it only keeps the tank at 73 degrees, complete useless) I have a 50w heater coming on Friday to replace it
    Coralife digital thermometer
    Craigslist black stand
~5-10 lbs of live rocks
20 lbs of black sand

I have a LED fixture on order, it should be coming in this week. I'm unsure about the live stock right now. I plan on getting some LPS and zoas for the tank. Couple of clowns. That's about it for now.

Here are some pictures.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Sweet. Can't wait to see it stocked and under lighting.

2 of my friend's are setting up their 20 gallon cubes... see if they will try the black sand, looks nice.

I will snap a few pictures of the LED lighting when it comes in. It's a cheap china fixture, so I'm not expecting too much out of it. We'll see.

The new 50w heater just came in and installed. More exciting, the 50w led fixture came in. Here are a few pictures. The fans are amazingly quiet, can barely hear it. It includes 2 fans. I'm not sure what type of fixture it is, I'm sure it's one of those cheap import fixtures.

A bummer to me is that it does not include mounting legs, so I can install it right away. It does come with hanging cables. My g/f was nice enough to hold the fixture so I can take some pictures. The bad thing is that she is unwilling to hold it for 8 hours a day. So there's another weekend project at lowes. I'm not a big DIY guy. If anyone have a suggestion on hanging kits, let me know.

IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2046.JPG
lights2.jpg
lights.jpg

I plan to hang mine from the ceiling from wire similar to what they provided. This way I can adjust them and easily push them to the side to access the tank. Maybe have a second hook to manually move them taller at cleaning times. I am tall so I would just lift it up.

Love the black sand for depth effect. If I ever go sand it may be black from these photos.

Thanks for the suggestions. Jess, I decided to go with you're idea. I'm not too handy, so Mario was able to help me with the hanging. We bent a 3/4" pipe, making it a hanger for the fixture. The wires for the fixture is tied together with a zip tie and that's it. I'm not sure if I like the hanger, but it works for now.

I also added a couple LPS frags to the tank. Day 2, it looks like it's surviving.

hanging-lights.jpg
fts1.jpg

looks sweet man not sure where you stay at but we should compare led tanks and see if we can learn more from these byy the differences in our tanks once you get it running a lil more

glee said:
hey b, did you shut down your main tank?

Hey Garvin. My main tank is still up and running. I just wanted a tank with black sand and try out some LEDs. Swing by if you want to come check it out. I am stocking the tank tomorrow with with few LPS.

nudibranch said:
At my LFS they they attach there lights to cables and run them through a pulley so they can move the lights up and down.

Good suggestion. That was my other option, but I got too lazy.

So I started adding some stock into the tank. I can't tell if things are starting to bleach, but it does seem like the frags were darker in color before I dropped them in. I'm not too sure if it was a good idea to go with black sand. It's really tough to keep it completely black. Shortly after I added the frags in, the rock chips started falling on the sand bed. I need a good method to keep the sand black besides using a pair of chopsticks to pick up the white rock chips.

fts2.jpg

Back