Neptune Aquatics

Beginner reefer seeking advice

Alota good advice just remember you need to ghost feed the bacteria since theres no ammonia being added plus extra beneficial bacteria always good. A cup or two of gravel from another established tank adds more BB. Toss in a Nassarius Snail or two they sleep under the sand great cucs to stir sand beds plus a Trochus snail. Trochus snails can flip themselves over unlike alot of other snails which cant and may end up dead unless you manually check and flip back over. The finer the sand the harder to flip back over. Please read up on the dangers Especially toxins certain corals have which can be life altering! Do not dip any rocks/sand etc in hot/boiling water to clean!%#!!!(Danger) toxins can be released into air!!..Where long rubber gloves if you have fresh cuts on hands bacteria infection can happen although not super common but id rather not take that chance! Eye protection since corals can squirt especially mushrooms when grabbing rocks out of water. With basic precautions this hobby is not dangerous just do your homework! Enjoy watching life evolve sometimes the smallest are the most intriguing! I keep a few large magnifying glasses near the tanks kids love the tiny creatures!

I think you have a AIO tank. I have been using seachem matrix for biological filtering successfully for years. They are cheap $7 (250ml ) which is enough for your tank. Get a pack and someone here with establish aptasia/major pest free tank can soak it for you in their sump for 2 weeks. You’ll have an instant cycle tank when you put it in your tank! That’s what I do when I setup a QT tank.

If you willing to drive down to South Bay. I’ll swap you with my current matrix , so you don’t even have to wait 2 week!
Here is the link. Making it easy it for you

I’m not exactly sure what it is! Ryan got it from a guy who said it would eat the aiptasia. Didn’t intend to give it to me but it was hidden in the rock. Sure looks like a berghia when I google it
If it is a nudi maybe wait a day or two to see if it eats the aptasia before taking action. If it doesn't I wouldn't risk it and follow the other advice. Yet I personally don't have the knowledge to determine one type from another. So I'm Basically just thinking out loud.

If it is a nudi maybe wait a day or two to see if it eats the aptasia before taking action. If it doesn't I wouldn't risk it and follow the other advice. Yet I personally don't have the knowledge to determine one type from another. So I'm Basically just thinking out loud.
Got it. He’s a pretty small guy. Maybe slightly under an inch long. I want to keep him alive so I can potentially give him back to my friend.

I’m pretty sure he will eat Aiptasia because that was the reason he was originally purchased but not sure how big of an Aiptasia appetite he has. There are 2 visible Aiptasia buds. One is about half an inch diameter. The other is about an eighth of an inch.

Is there any way I can remove the Aiptasia while still keeping the berghia alive?

I am with Iani. Bergia. Let it eat then once it is out of food send it in a plastic-bag-spaceship to another persons tank with aptasia.

Aptasia suck but suck a lot less is a nano tank when compared to a large tank where all corners of the tank and plumbing can't be reached to mitigate.

If you go into this actively knowing that there's a chance you'll have to actively manage aiptasia, then more power to you, please proceed. This is a small tank, so it may be easier to tolerate and manage, but aiptasia are sneaky, little devils that can easily hide from the human eye and where there are 1 or 2, there's probably another one or ten. Personally, if it was me, I'd start over.

Does that include bleaching the tank plumbing and back chamber? Or you thinking just remove the rock?

Bleaching might be overkill unless you’re talking about the rock after removing the coral. Probably good enough just to drain rinse and soak in tap water or let it dry for 48 hours. Aiptasia is tough, but they ain’t no tardigrade! ;)

I used to breed aiptasia solely for feeding berghia and I will tell you they will and can get everywhere and can be teeny, tiny. And once in plague numbers, can be very difficult and expensive to manage in medium/large tank. A small tank could be more manageable, but if I found aiptasia in the first month or two, I’d completely restart. Not worth the long term headache in my opinion.

So here’s what I’m thinking. I was planning to leave the Aiptasia in the tank for a few days to se if the berghia eats it. (Would rather give it back to my friend rather than kill it) If the Aiptasia isn’t eaten in a few days, I’ll manually remove it with tweezers. Would that work?

Also 2 questions

1. What is this purple spot that is growing in the sand?
2. Any idea what this brine shrimp looking thing is?

Attachments

• IMG_7926.jpeg
    IMG_7926.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 32
So here’s what I’m thinking. I was planning to leave the Aiptasia in the tank for a few days to se if the berghia eats it. (Would rather give it back to my friend rather than kill it) If the Aiptasia isn’t eaten in a few days, I’ll manually remove it with tweezers. Would that work?

Also 2 questions

1. What is this purple spot that is growing in the sand?
2. Any idea what this brine shrimp looking thing is?
Looks like cyanobacreria. Usually from low flow and excess nutrients.

Back