Kessil

Best skimmer to replace my ELOS Natural 500

kinetic

Supporting Member
I've had no luck with the ELOS Natural 500 skimmer. It's skimmed a total of 0 oz. of skimmate in 2 years. I've tried to replace the pump, change the venturi tube length, different water levels, etc. and have been talking to Jesse about it, but never figured it out. My small tunze nano 9002 skimmer pulls a lot more out in the same tank.

In preparation for a bunch of little clownfish and possible nems pooping like crazy, I want to replace the ELOS. I don't think the ELOS is defective, I think I'm just incapable of getting it to work for some reason =( Afterall, it's just some clear plastic. No weird holes or leaks or any strange blemishes.

So what's the best skimmer to get that will still fit in my sump? I have 36" of vertical room to work with, but the sump itself doesn't have the largest footprint.

What's the absolute top 5 skimmers that will fit a footprint of 6" x 6"?

If you can fit it in, the Bubbleking Mini is awesome. Having been through countless skimmers over the years, I've finally settled on a BK180 and don't find myself drooling over any of the new ones because it works so well and so reliably.

AquaC EV 120 is 9x5 footprint, the BK mini ~9x10
You may squeeze an Urchin Pro 8x4 but the triangular support base might have to be chopped.
Your main issue is very little room for a nice skimmer

hmm, I dunno, maybe I can fit something bigger. I'll measure stuff when I get home today to see if I can fit a BK mini. That sounds like a fun skimmer ;)

The chamber of my sump that the skimmer is in, is actually really big. I can probably fit something bigger I guess. Is the BK mini footprint including the pump? either way, I can probably squeeze it somewhere.

oh sorry, should have researched first. Looks like the pump is INSIDE the skimmer, WOOHOO! That gives me even more room, I can definitely fit the BK 180.

For my ELOS 120, would the 200 be too big? 160 is nice, because it uses such little wattage, but could be too small. Which would you guys suggest? The footprints all look about 9" or so. I think I can do that.

IMO, the 200 is way too big for an Elos 120. (Unless you have an Elos 120XL, but I still think it'd be pretty oversized...)

I would go with the BK160. I have the BK180 on my 200G display setup and it's more than enough. I think the key is to size your skimmer appropriately for your tank. The wattage savings on the 160 is really nice too.

Can't say enough good things about the Bubblekings.

I have a Elos Natural 1000 that I know works as I have two :)

GreshamH said:
I have a Elos Natural 1000 that I know works as I have two :)

I believe it. I've seen Natural 500's in person that worked amazingly well. "It's not you [skimmer], it's me"

Something with my system setup or my pure dumbness is keeping it from skimming =(

Now we're talking :lol:

Warner Marine K2 I tell yah. That is what I am getting this weekend for my 120.

I would go for the BK Mini200 if the sump allows for it, maybe overkill but future upgrade you'll be covered.
I got a Mini 160 and now I wish had the 200; you may look also into a Vertex Alpha 200 made by Royal Exclusiv

Yeah I don't mind buying something new if I ever upgrade ;) That's the fun of upgrades! All the little toys that come with it. But I spent a ridiculous amount for a small ELOS already, I think I have to keep it for a long time to make it worthwhile.

how do the vertex's compare? tonggao got one recently, ian makes people buy them... must be good?

Quite a few of the online places are doing their traditional labor day sales, while 10% might not be much, 10% off $800 is a good hunk o' change.

Here's a question though, you've seen the skimmer you have work wonders, but it's not working on yours, what makes you think a new skimmer will pull any gunk too?

sfsuphysics said:
Quite a few of the online places are doing their traditional labor day sales, while 10% might not be much, 10% off $800 is a good hunk o' change.

Here's a question though, you've seen the skimmer you have work wonders, but it's not working on yours, what makes you think a new skimmer will pull any gunk too?

Thanks for the heads up on the labor day sales. I'll look around.

I have no idea if a new skimmer will pull anything out. I used some Tunze 9002 nano skimmers on the same tank and they pulled plenty of junk out from the same place in the sump.

I also thought we decided that I should stop kidding myself and just man up to the fact I'm just a gear whore looking for another toy to play with. I need to justify the purchase, help me out here! ;)

kinetic said:
Yeah I don't mind buying something new if I ever upgrade ;) That's the fun of upgrades! All the little toys that come with it. But I spent a ridiculous amount for a small ELOS already, I think I have to keep it for a long time to make it worthwhile.

how do the vertex's compare? tonggao got one recently, ian makes people buy them... must be good?

Well it has the best heart of any skimmers, Red Dragon heart that is; is a Bubble King with a slightly different name

maybe i'll just stick with the BubbleKing =)

I saw another site that listed it for sale, said I need about 11"x11" clearance around a BK 160. I'm not sure if that'll work, I'll have to move things around a bit...

anyone have pictures of theirs sitting in a sump / can take measurements of the actual area it needs?

Back